Technical support incompetence
I am just going to list the sequence of events, and not add any of my personal thoughts or opinions. The facts clearly speak for themselves.
Monday, 5/3. around 1:00PM. Brief power outage. When power restored, no internet. Called Charter, got a recording that said that there was a problem in my area, service would be restored in a couple of hours. Still no service at 8:00PM, so I called Charter, got the same recording. Wrestled my way through the voice prompts to finally get a live person on the line. After trying many things, tech said that modem was bad and promised to overnight a replacement.
Tuesday, 5/4. No replacement. However, internet access most of the day was OK.
Wednesday, 5/5. No internet. Replacement modem arrives. Swap modem, no internet. Spent a long time with support - couldn't get internet. Will have to send a tech out.
Thursday, 5/6. Tech arrives, but we have internet access when he gets here. Tech checks, have had the internet for the last few hours. Tech says that other houses on our street have had similar problems - he was at our neighbors house the day before, and the person across the street was also out. Tech leaves. 10 minutes later, no internet. On phone with support for a long time, they need to set up another call. I tell them that the problem is clearly not inside our house, since multiple residences have been affected, but this doesn't appear to be useful information to the support person. He needs to set up a visit with us. The visits are difficult to arrange as my wife and I both work during the day. We finally set a firm appointment for between 5:00 and 7:00PM on Friday.
Friday, 5/7. I leave work early, had to leave part way through an important meeting, to get home by 5:00. No tech shows up. I call and I am told that the tech came between 1:00 and 3:00 on Friday. I get disconnected and have to wade through the voice menus and start all over again explaining everything. I request that a tech be sent out today, as we have been without internet since Monday, and they screwed up the scheduling. Sorry, can't do it. I ask to speak to a supervisor, am put on hold for 28 minutes, finally get a supervisor, doesn't help at all. Appointment set for Saturday between 1 and 3. My wife and I have to cancel plans for Saturday but we really need the issue fixed, so we do.
Saturday, 5/8. Tech shows up and seems competent. He replaces the line coming into our house, and reports that some piece of equipment outside needs to be replaced, will have to order the parts. Internet working when he leaves. A short time later, no internet. Call support again, finally get the internet back but only when computer is connected directly. Support person promises to call me on Monday with a status on the parts and next visit out.
Monday, 5/10. No call from support. Internet access available intermittently when one computer is connected directly.
Tuesday, 5/11. Still no call from support. I call support from work and I am told that someone was out to replace something on Monday, 5/10, but that DHCP had not been turned on for our account. Support person turns it on and I am told that we have a good internet connection. I ask why I wasn't notified that the work had been done. Support person doesn't know. I get home and yes, the one computer has the Internet, but when I connect it to the router, nothing. I plug the modem back into the one computer directly - no internet. I call support again (and, on every call, I have to wade through countless voice prompts to finally reach a support person who once again has to verify all of my information and then has me describe the entire problem all over again). This person says that no, nobody came out to my house on Monday. And also that there are no service calls scheduled for my house. Then I get disconnected.
I call back, having to again go through all of the voice prompts and then have to again verify all of my information and then have to start over explaining everything to the new support person. I am told that I need to buy a new router (mine is a high-end Cisco router, 3 months old) as it is messing up their DHCP. By the way, at this moment my router isn't even turned on, and the modem is plugged into the computer directly. I realize that I am not likely to get anything useful out of further conversation.
We schedule a tech to come out the next day, and the only time that they can give me is between 4 and 6 PM, as there is nothing available in the evening. This is very difficult to arrange, but we go for it. I then get a call from their automated system asking me to confirm that the appointment scheduled for between 8 and 10 AM tomorrow morning is OK. !!!!! I just got off the phone after scheduling it for 4 - 6 PM, and 5 minutes later it has already been screwed up and set for 8 - 10 AM.
I couldn't call them back as I broke the phone when I slammed it down in frustration.
We have been without the internet for 9 days now. Anyone reading this sequence of events can determine for themselves the competency of an organization that has handled a problem in the fashion that I have outlined. The fact that appointments are scheduled for one time yet somehow end up at a different time, more than once, is mind boggling.