Question About Collection Procedures
MISSISSIPPI -- Hi, I've read some of the reviews and searched for help everywhere on how to handle this situation. Seems like other people have been more fortunate. I was contacted by GC Services last week. Actually, they left a message and I called them back. When I called, I told them I wanted to handle the debt and asked if I could arrange payments. I was told payments weren't an option. They wanted me to write postdated checks for funds that I didn't have the slightest clue where they'd come from and couldn't guarantee they'd be there. The debt is less than $3000, which is mostly interest. I called them on the 10th and then called back on the 13th. I tried again to make a payment and was told, "What do you not understand about Payments not being an option!" The woman was very irate, even though I made it clear that I wanted to pay it, but I couldn't pay the whole thing. She said you have 48 hours. She mentioned that I have assets. This is a credit card that I owe for (mostly interest, and I don't know the exact amount). She wouldn't let me even wait until I got paid again, or until my income tax refund came back.
I'm overwhelmed at the fact that she didn't want to give me a reasonable amount of time to come up with the money. I don't understand the tactics, and one lady I spoke to on the 10th said that the accountants would review this on the 24th. This other lady would not let me talk to her again and she even contradicted the fact that the first lady said she would accept a payment, though it wouldn't change anything. The second lady refused my money, and then said if I didn't pay voluntarily, they had no choice by to proceed with other routes... I said I'm TRYING to give you some money, and I can pay more in two weeks, and when I get my last W2, I can get the rapid refund and pay it all. She wouldn't even wait two weeks. I don't understand this, and now since she called me yesterday and said she was referring it back to the creditor and I'd be responsible for attorneys fees, etc., I'm worried that she might misrepresent some of the facts to them and tell them I was unwilling to do anything. To make it worse, the first person they spoke to was my spouse when I was not home, and he was not friendly at all.
So, I wrote the original creditor a letter, told them what happened, wrote a check for $50 and explained that until I get paid, that's all I can afford (although I really can't at the moment since now I have to figure out where gas money is going to come from for next week).
What will she do to me? Can they sue me if I send them money? How long does she have to wait? What procedure has to be in place before they can process this?
They just received the account no earlier than the 8th. I have a letter from them without a date that says I have 30 days to request verification of the debt. I'm thinking that I will mail them a letter asking them to do this. That should buy me enough time to get my tax refund.
Is this typical, to demand payment in full without allowing a reasonable amount of time? I see where other people were able to work with the same creditor. This company said they couldn't allow me to make payments. What should I do?