MUMBAI, MASSACHUSETTS -- 2ND September,2009
How the Branch Manager of the “Churchgate HDFC Bank Branch” has been harassing us, for what- just to close the Saving Account of one of our family members (deceased) for so long, coming up every time with a new cooked up illegal and unethical demand.
(1) After the sudden demise of one of our family member, we applied for the closure of the saving account (SBA). HDFC phone banking said - A simple application letter + the Death Certificate would suffice the purpose. We submitted. No result.
(2) On reminder, this Gayatri asked us to submit the Closure Form. OK. We again submitted our second letter + their Closure Form + the Death Certificate too, to their staff Mr. Kaushal Saiya on 10th June, 2009. Nothing happened.
(3) We lodged our grievance to their Phone Banking Services. We were given the complaint no. “MUN-054906” on 24th June, 2009 by Ms. Meena of HDFC. Again nothing happened.
(4) We again spoke to HDFC Phone Banking Services- Mr. Prartik & his senior Ms. Shilpa only to face all the vague answers.
(5) We pointed out to Gayatri that this SBA (with OD facility) of the deceased person could be misused by any miscreant. Hence the SBA ought to be closed immediately without any further manipulated delay. But this Gayatri remained too adamant.
(6) She cooked up a new excuse and said- SBA could not be closed as this SBA is linked with FD and these two could not be separated. How ridiculous.
(7) We have categorically mentioned in our closure application to de-link these FD with SBA and close the SBA.
(8) These FD were linked to SBA on our request only and thus could be very well de-linked as and when we want; as such a link is never mandatory but totally optional for the account holder.
(9) To authenticate the fact, we inquired with several banks and submitted the reply of the top leading bank SCB, categorically saying- “FD link with SBA is purely optional and could be de-linked any time as per the account holder's wish.”
(10) ON this, Gayatri had to keep quiet over her illegal refusal to de-link FD & SBA.
(11) We reported the matter to Media. And thus being frustrated, this Gayatri demanded a heap of unnecessary documents from us with hell of the tedious formalities as follows.
a) ID & address of the Claimant & ID proof of Legal Heir
b) 2 Guarantors required. (Should not be relatives)
c) ID proof & latest Salary slip or IT returns copy of the guarantor.
d) Letter of Indemnity to be franked for Rs 300/-
(12) We clarified categorically that all their demand are totally illegal and unethical as they demand to follow heap of tedious formalities with Rs. 300=00 stamp paper; while the balance in this SBA is Rs. 13=71. (Thirteen rupees and paise seventy-one only.) Hence we have forgone our claim for this trifle amount.
(13) And for closing the SBA, the needed closure form and death certificate were already submitted to them hundred times. NOW- WE GOT NO REPLY from Gayatri as it seems she has fallen short of any more harassing dirty tricks.
(14) We emailed our grievance to “HDFC Grievance Cell”; under the Subject head as -“HBL=007-572-363- Hell of the harassment & trauma created by this lady in each and every of our case for so long.” The ref no. allotted by HDFC GC was “A51891070”.
(15) And then what these people have done to us. They made a mockery of our grievance.
(16) “HDFC Grievance Cell” said- WAIT for 5 working days for our reply. And then, after 5 days on our reminder, they again said- wait for further 5 working days. And after the next 5 days, they said- wait for the next few days. And their such demand to wait further and further is still going on since 11th July, 2009
-R K Agarwal. Mumbai.
MUMBAI, MASSACHUSETTS -- HDFC has sent me a letter stating that they are going to charge me Rs 750. I have received this letter today on 4th April, 2009. The letter is dated March 23, 2009
I have closed my HDFC account in January, 2009 because I was dissatisfied with the customer service and with my DMAT account being blocked. I have returned all the check books, any other documents and submitted all the forms for the closure in January 2009.
Since 14th November, 2005 till date my salary has always been credited regularly into ICICI Bank account only. My salary account was opened by Firstsource in ICICI. I never transferred my salary nor did I give any intimation to HDFC that I am going to deposit my salary in HDFC.
My HDFC account no stated in the letter is 02911140006607. The letter states that they have given me Special Benefits like
1. Zero Balance Account
2. Free International Debit Card
3. Free Demand Drafts on HDFC Bank locations.
I never asked for any such facilities nor did I ever use these facilities. I have never visited any HDFC bank in the last 4 years.
Further, the letter states "These special benefits were provided subject to regular salary credit in your account. However, we observe that there has been no salary credit in your account during the period October 2008 to December 2008...........
We note that the average quarterly balance (AQB) maintained by you in above mentioned account for the quarter ended December 2008 was below Rs 10,000. We therefore request you to kindly fund your account accordingly to avoid levy of any charge.
In event of non-maintenance of AQB, a charge of Rs 750/- per quarter (exclusive of education cess & service tax) will be levied. All other charges as detailed in the Service Charges and Fees brochure will be applicable. .........". The letter has been signed by [snip], Head - Retail Liabilities Product Group.
I would also like to add that I haven't made any transactions authorized nor unauthorized on this account. I have had no dealings with HDFC
MUMBAI -- I am Rohit Raj currently working in Mumbai, India.
I am having salaried account with HDFC Bank in one of the Mumbai's Branch (Mulund Branch). On 08.03.08, I realized that Rs 1,45000/- (One lakh forty five thousand) have been unauthorizedly withdrawn from my account. I did not carry out the transaction. I immediately filed an complaint on HDFC Bank help line.On 10.03.08 , I filed a written complaint in the concerned branch.
I came to know following details --
In the entire process, Bank seems to raise the hands. I think Bank is waiting for more incidences to happen. Even after this happened banks are asking me to file an FIR. They seem not be interested in finding out the roots of such incidences
Before this incidence, similar sort of fraud happened through netbanking where one Nigerian fellow was caught. It included around Rs 1.25 Lakhs.
What I am really interested in is spreading awareness about such issues and secondly asking Bank to stop the casual approach for such cases. As tomorrows era is of paperless transactions and such issues may cause havoc in future. So we have to take security steps today to make our future safe.