Cost went up after Medco changed med from preferred to non-preferred
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS -- I have talked to Medco 3 times, and sent an e-mail, because my prescription was changed from $30 to $50 a month for a generic brand, and Medco doesn't offer it, so no 3 month lower price option. I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them today, 50 minutes of the calls on hold! The 1st time I called, I was told it was the pharmacy's policy that they charge me more after buying from them after a certain amount of time (what?) & I asked if Medco would fill it & he told me yes, call the pharmacy to transfer it. So I called the pharmacy, and they told me Medco doesn't offer the medication, and that they were the ones who upped the price, not them. So called Medco again. Was told it wasn't them, it was our insurance carrier's policy, so I had to wait until Monday to call them. So then I call them, they tell me, no, has nothing to do with us, it's Medco, and I told her Medco claimed it wasn't. So she put me on hold, and transferred me to Medco. I talked to someone again, she was giving me the same "reasons" and I told her, no, I talked to the pharmacy, and no, the insurance co. just transferred me! So finally she told me she'd put me on with someone who would have more information about it then her, and could do more. So I waited, and waited. Almost an hour. When someone finally answered, she started with the same excuses, and I told her, I already heard a, b, c, and talked to everyone else, so can you help me figure out what is going on? She told me she saw on her computer the price jumped from 2011 to 2012, but there was no reason given. So she told me to hold while she looked into it. She came back and told me that it was a non-preferred prescription now, and it was a preferred prescription in 2011, so the price went up. I told her it was a generic brand, I hadn't changed to the brand name. She told me it didn't matter. So I asked her what the alternatives were. She told me to ask my doctor. I told her, no, I already knew that there was no other medication similar, my doctor had told me that a long time ago. But I wanted to know if there was anything that I could do, I was having a hard enough time with the $30 a month, the medication is for an allergic disorder that creates instability, and can lead to serious complications, shock, and worse, so I can't live without it, and unfortunately there is so little known about the disorder, they have this one medication, and luckily some generic brands. So I wanted to know if there was anything I could do, any options, was there something Medco did prefer? "No," she told me, "there is no alternative medication, but you do have the option to buy it, or not." Cold. So I asked her if this has happened to anyone else, no alternative med, that suddenly becomes non preferred, and it is necessary to live, and has become cost prohibitive? "You can either buy it or not, ask your doctor for a different med, or," "Yes???" I waited eagerly to hear. "You can write an appeal to your insurance carrier." I quickly reminded her they had told me it was not their decision, but Medco's, so it wouldn't be my insurance company, so she paused and told me to hold, "Yes then, that is right, you would send the appeal in to us here." Yes, please! If that is my only option, fine, I'm not holding onto a ton of hope, but I thought it was worth a try. It was like pulling teeth to get any information out of her, and she told me she would send me the appeal letter (will see if that shows), and I tried asking if there was any information that would be helpful to have included in the letter, such as a note from my doctor, a receipt, anything? No, nothing you can do. So I just told her, "Okay, I will just document the call with you, your name (which I did state back to her, I had written in down in the beginning luckily) and the time." She was quiet. "Fine, is there anything else?" No, clearly there was nothing I could do. I had no options, and have no clue what I can do. I could understand if they were fighting me on the cost if I was ordering brand name, or if they wanted me to switch to them so that they could make the money selling it. I could understand that they'd push up the price so that I had to choose another option, and they could save money. But I already order the generic, and they have no alternative medication, and it was already so much for me to afford, and I'm stuck. I don't know what I can do, how I'll be able to afford it, and I actually need it. I guess they figure I'll find a way since I need it. Pushing up the price for all the other reasons I could wrap my mind around even though I think it's utter sleaziness, but this? No options, if you can't pay, too bad! You need it to live? Again, too bad, that's their new policy. I've read a lot of bad reviews about them before when I was upset with other decisions they've made, but this one is below the belt. Really rotten company.