1 reviews & complaints.

Most Popular | Newest | More Options >
More filter options:
Exploding Candle
Posted by on
On Saturday night, we had a big scare because a Paddywax candle blew up and started on fire. I was in the next room and I heard a pop. I ran to my bedroom and saw the fire. It was burning our brand new bedroom dresser. I rushed over to put the fire out. However, the damage was done. It burnt a mark on our beautiful dresser that we worked so hard to purchase. I broke down to tears because it is our first brand new bedroom set and it was damaged.

I think Paddywax should take the glass candle product off the market. The company needs to recall all of their glass products because they are a fire hazard. I can only imagine what would have happened if I was not nearby the sound of the glass breaking.
Read 9 RepliesAdd reply
User Replies:
momsey on 04/24/2011:
Candles are a fire hazard, regardless of who makes them. And they should never, ever be left unattended. Too many houses have burned to the ground (and too many people have died) because of unattended candles.

Contact the company and let them know of your experience.
Anonymous on 04/24/2011:
Yikes! That sounds like a scary experience. Momsey is right. Candles should never be left unattended. This kind of thing is possible with any brand of candle.
trmn8r on 04/24/2011:
As momsey suggested, I would definitely call the company and tell them what happened. Candles in an open (I assume) glass container shouldn't be exploding.
FlitteringFirefly on 04/24/2011:
Sometimes, if a candle in a glass container is left to burn almost to the bottom, it will break the glass and possible start a fire. That happened to me when I was 14 and baby sitting. They left a candle lit on the table and about an hour after they left, it popped.
Sparticus on 04/24/2011:
Take some pics of the damage and send it to the company. Maybe they will pony up to repair it.

Scary stuff. Most candles are sold with glass containers these days and you think it is safer. I guess not. Thanks for the warning and glad only the dresser was harmed.
Anonymous on 04/24/2011:
The candles I have from the the Tyler Candle Company (in jars) have a warning on the bottom to not let the candles burn when there is only 1/2" of wax left. They also say, "Burn Within Sight". FF has a good point and the glass does become very hot if there is not much wax left.

I have to say that the jar candles I buy from Tyler Candle Company have never exploded so I appreciate knowing about this company's product. Glad you caught it in time. The dresser, although upsetting, is not as bad as the house catching fire.
PaulaJ on 04/24/2011:
I am sorry that your dresser was damaged, but I do have to agree with the other people that candles should never be left unattended even if you are in another room anything can happen. If you want the ambience of candlelight without the danger of fire, try battery operated candles, they are safe and drip free. QVC happens to sell some nice ones.
Anonymous on 04/24/2011:
I have a penchant for placing fire retardant decorative ceramic, marble, and stone tiles under my candles and their holders. Can the dresser be sanded and refinished, or is the damage too extensive? Perhaps the dresser manufacturer would have some suggestions.
Anonymous on 04/25/2011:
I leave candles unattended and have actually gone into another room in my house and I've never had a candle explode before and I buy a variety of brands..but never Paddywax, and thanks to your review I won't anytime soon. Do contact them right away. Thanks for posting.

Close commentsAdd reply
Top of Page | Next Page >