Iron shoots sparks - Sunbeam's response: "Stuff happens...!"
We've had this iron for years but I wouldn't say it's antiquated - always worked well, no problems, and we handled it well -- no drops or any other abuses.
Last week I was ironing a shirt and sparks started shooting out of the cord base where the cord enters the handle. It burned a hole in my ironing board, so I immediately unplugged it. There is now a hole in the cord where the sparks flew out, rendering it useless.
When I called Sunbeam to report this, the customer service representative's response was, "Stuff happens." She offered me a discount coupon on a new iron, which I declined because, A) I already purchased a new iron, and B) Why would I purchase another from this company.
Amazing -- if you have this product, get rid of it before someone gets seriously injured or worse.