Qatar Airways Complaint - Beware Qatar
I have complained to Qatar's Consumer Relation who have refused me any compensation. Here are the facts:
1. I purchased a ticket from Expedia for a round trip from Denver to Colombo, based on a United reservation. My departure was Friday Nov.11 and my return Nov. 21.
2. My departure was from Denver through the Continental desk on Nov. 21, and they ticketed my bag straight to Colombo, where I collected it.
3. On my return I checked in at the Qatar desk at Colombo. The desk agent stated that he could not ticket my bag to Denver as his computer only displayed Washington IAD as my destination. I showed him my itinerary and explained to him that my booking was to Denver and that my baggage had been ticketed to Colombo from Denver. But he stated that he could only check my bags to Washington IAD. I was aware that I had to clear customs and immigration at IAD and would have to collect my bag at IAD, but like other airlines wanted Qatar to tag my bag to Denver. Their refusal or inability to tag my bag to Denver, shows either that Qatar does not possess a computer booking system operated by ordinary airlines, or that their gate agents are terribly inefficient.
4. My check in at Colombo on Nov. 21 was completed 2.5 hours before departure. The first leg of my journey was Colombo to Doha, and no reason has been offered as to why my baggage did not make the plane from Colombo to Doha.
5. I connected at Doha for my flight to IAD. At the Qatar desk I explained to the agent that my bag should have been checked to Denver not to IAD and asked her if she could change that tagging. She said she could not and that her computer showed my flying only to IAD. I gave her my itinerary and explained that is not the case, but she said I would need to collect my bag at IAD and re-check it to Denver. At no stage was it ever mentioned to me either at the desk or by way of announcement that my bag was missing or delayed in Colombo.
6. The flight from Doha was delayed by nearly an hour and arrived in IAD only at around 4:00 pm. This was too late for my scheduled connecting flight to Denver, on United 407 at 4:10 pm
7. After standing around the baggage carousel for nearly an hour there was an announcement through the public address system asking me to report to the Qatar desk. I did so and was informed that my bag has not arrive at IAD. The desk agent informed me, along with a number of others, that our baggage was delayed in Colombo and would only arrive the next day. They told me that I was informed of my baggage delay in Doha. I protested and denied any such notification. They were deaf to what I stated, and seemed clueless about my connection to Denver and were very unhelpful.
8. I had to participate and speak at a conference in Denver the following morning and needed to have access to my clothes. My bag was delayed entirely due to the fault of Qatar, and the least they should do is to offer me compensation (like other airlines do) to purchase some clothing. They have refused to do so.
9. Moreover, I had missed my scheduled connection that arrived in Denver at 6:07. The next flight to Denver departed after 10:00 pm and arrived in Denver well past midnight. My final destination was Boulder, and there was no bus or Super Shuttle running to Boulder at that time. I had to take a taxi that cost $100.00. It also left me physically shattered and emotionally exhausted following upon nearly 48 hours of flying, and the non arrival of my bag.
10. The desk at IAD, and Consumer Relation to whom I complained, have been totally unhelpful and refused to pay me compensation for the following actions attributable to the fault of Qatar:
a. Cost of dinner on the night of Nov. 21. My connecting flight did not leave till after 10:00 pm.
b. Purchase of clothing. My bag arrived only on the 23rd. Two days after my arrival.
c. Taxi fare to Boulder. There was no public transport because of the late hour.
d. Consumer Relations have denied all my claims to compensation.