Ruby Tuesdays Complaint - Rancid Burgers!
MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA -- My Open Letter To Ruby Tuesdays: I was shocked by what was the WORSE experience I have ever had anywhere, let alone Ruby Tuesdays at Eastchase Loop, Montgomery Alabama. I have eaten at your restaurants for years in various cities I have lived. I had come to rely on the consistency of the food and service quality that made anywhere I am feel "like home". Today the order was not taken correctly, took long despite that it was not crowded, I had to ask for refill on my drink despite the server seeing it was empty for about 15 minutes. But the worse part is that after all this I was served meat that was RANCID!! I threw up before I left and have been sick ever since. I got home, threw up again and slept all day. I am so upset I cannot even express my anger and disappointment. My sister was with me and when I told her my burger was not good she smelled hers and backed away. I was very hungry when I arrived and by the time the food got to us I tried to eat it but less than halfway through I realized it was not me - the meat really was bad. My sister ordered the Minis and had not gotten to the meat part because its mostly bread on those but when she smelled mine, she lifted the bun on hers, took one sniff and put it down! It was disgusting. The texture was spongy, as if frozen and then improperly defrosted. It was not pink but I think that was not due to being cooked. It felt like the color was due to it being not fresh. The question it raises for me is about food handling at your restaurants. Is your meat frozen until ready to be cooked? Is it handled safely? Clearly the answer has to be NO judging from our experience and both of us having the same problem. This was at approx noon, it is now almost 11pm and its just now that I feel well enough to even write to you. The server and asst. mgr offered me another dish...as if I could even think of eating another bite in your restaurant. She said "I don't want you to leave hungry".... Trust me, leaving hungry was not possible. I have not been able to eat since that. I was even too sick to go to Pri-Med, which I considered because I thought I was food poisoned. Just writing to you is like reliving that horrible ordeal and sickens me to recall the odor and taste of the burger. We were not charged for our meals - thank you for not charging us for food poisoning! But I swear by all I hold dear that I will never eat at any Ruby Tuesdays again and will warn my friends and family about what happened to us today and the indications that the food handling at Ruby's needs to be looked into...A former Ruby Tuesdays customer