Amana - Glass on oven door spontaneously shattered--twice!
VERNON, NEW JERSEY -- We bought an Amana smooth-top stove in 2004 and were quite happy with it for a good six years. But then one morning, while still in bed, I heard a nerve-rattling sound coming from my kitchen. I went downstairs to see, amazingly, that the outer glass on my oven door had shattered. The oven was not hot at the time (as I said it was early in the morning and the oven had last been used the evening before). Kids were sleeping, not a mouse was stirring. The glass just shattered and fell to the floor, of its own accord. Fun job to clean up. After buying a new door and replacing it, things were good for about another year and a half. Then it happened again! The glass just shattered and fell to the floor as though it had been hit with a baseball bat. Luckily our young kids were not around, and the glass does not explode out but rather cascades down, but still! It's annoying. And now we don't feel like spending another $100 for a door, so it's sitting there, functional but extremely ugly. I figure I may just spend another few hundred bucks and get a whole new oven--but not an Amana.