Priceline.com - Not Necessarily for Europeans
The Priceline.com service has several major problems for overseas customers:
- Their credit card interface only lists a few selected countries. In many cases, your nation is not there. This does not actually affect the payment but it feels a bit awkward to choose Germany if the credit card was issued in Finland, for example.(Well, I had to choose a US state for this page, too...)
- There are no clear instructions for cancellations at the website.
- Their 1-800 customer service may be called from Europe but one is not likely to get through. The taped voice will ask you to give your phone number, among other things, the way it was on reservation, before letting you to proceed. In my case, there was no phone number, just email, in the reservation, and I consequently got stuck there.
- The email to customer services was replied in 12 hours but the reply did nothing to help me to cancel the room.
- The hotel could not cancel the booking by themselves.
- Fortunately, I discovered a booking.com service number in Europe, only 15 minutes before the cancellation deadline. The cancellation took 30 seconds!
- Try Agoda or some other website with functional customer service or, even better, deal directly with the hotel right from the beginning.