Empire Carpet - Three Installations Later
PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA -- January 2011, a knowledgeable Empire representative measured my home for carpet. Within one week the newly installed carpet looked older and worn than my previous carpet. I called and my sales rep made a second visit. He agreed that the carpet had to be replaced. I did not have much choice. I am a wheelchair user and truthfully there were two maybe three choices of ugly carpet.
Regretting that I ever purchased Empire carpet I selected the second ugly carpet. The installation job was horrible. My wood was cut – there were so many piece work and the seams were done terribly. Again I called and Empire arranged for my sales rep to be out. Again, he agreed that the job was terrible and damage had been done.
Between the second and third installation I had become gravely ill. I started having strong reservations about a third time and told Empire’s Customer Service Manager Lisa, that I was not sure. By the time I recovered, I thought it best that I try a third time.
One of the reasons that I had initially called Empire is that Empire offered Interest Free for 12 months. Why did I pay $98.00 per month when interest was to be free?
Most important, until an Empire Customer is totally satisfied they are also not to be charged interest. Interest was tacked on to my bill after February 2012. When I spoke to Lisa she explained that the bank is responsible and after the third installation was complete, Empire will notify the bank and the interest calculated will be removed and my interest free for a year would begin.
Guess what? The carpet was installed a third time. I was so excited that it was done with only 2 seams I called immediately to tell Lisa “I am happy.” Unfortunately that was only short-lived. I have three issues with Empire now, which are:
1. The interest was not removed and charges continue to mount. Each time I called Lisa she has never returned my calls. Thus, I am still being charged interest and not given interest free!
2. Although 2 seams are better than a dozen or so during the second installation, there is a big seam a few feet from entering the living room. On the sides close to the wall, the seam looks great but directly in the middle it looks as if I have torn carpet.
3. The carpet does not feel or wear like the previous carpet. Although the third carpet was installed April 3, 2012 it shows all kinds of dirt spots despite it is low pile commercial grade tweed. It seems that the previous carpet installed October 27, 2011 may have been different.
At this point I would love for Empire to take up their carpet, refund my money and we call it a day. I can never replace the plants the second installers placed out on the deck and the sun (in October) burned the plants, as well as the cut wood; the three times it cost me for Personal Assistant overtime; and all the aggravation and work.
Knowing that I don’t stand a chance against a big company I need Empire to explain why:
1. I had to pay $98.* per month during the Interest Free
2. Interest compounded was not removed after the third installation as explained by Customer Service Manager.
3. Interest Free for one year when Customer is totally satisfied with carpet installation
Rather than writing my Empire experience as a complaint, I thought it best to inform. Empire did come back and replace the ugly carpet twice. Most important now, perhaps someone will advise what I can do. I am going to send this information to the Better Business Bureau. I may have also been overcharged on two accounts too (I am paying for an original carpet that had to be removed and the quality of Empire’s pad is poor ---( there was never a price adjustment).
Company Response on 6/21/2012:
Marlene, we truly regret the issues that you have experienced post-installation. We understand your frustration and your concerns with your product and financing, and we’re disappointed, as this is not the level of service that we expect for our customers. We will be reaching out to you soon to discuss the current status of your situation. Please contact us with any questions at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email us at email@example.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager
More Reviews on Empire Carpet: