Wal-Mart Selling Toxic Plants
Wal-Mart is currently selling a plant in their garden dept. called Sago Palm. I saw the plant and liked it, bought one, and placed in my garden, potted since it would need to be moved indoors in winter. I happened to brush against the leaves with my arm, and noticed a burning sensation. This prompted me to do some research regarding this plant. While many common houseplants and garden plants are toxic to one degree or another, the Sago Palm is dangerously toxic. If a child or dog ingests part of the plant, especially the seed pod, it will quite possibly be fatal.
I printed out several articles regarding this, and returned the plant to Wal-Mart, and they did refund my purchase price without a problem. The manager asked if he could keep the printed articles and I let him keep them. Visiting the same store a week later I saw the plants still for sale. I understand many items for sale at Wal-Mart, could be harmful if misused. However people have no warning that this plant could kill them, their children, or their pets. They would probably have no idea that the plant was the problem to inform a doctor or veterinarian what was causing the illness. By the time they figured it out it could possibly be too late. At a minimum people need to be aware of this plants toxicity so that they can take proper precautions.