Merit Property Management Company - Worse Property Management Company

Request for help with disturbing tenant - Complaint
Review by sunshinebb on 2012-09-21
Rating: StarEmpty StarEmpty StarEmpty StarEmpty Star
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA -- In October of 2011, a management company rented the unit next to mine. I have owned my unit since 1984, and have no problems on record since I have lived here.

The tenant is a Section 8 tenant, with some mental disabilities. She not only would not abide by getting her music down, but she would scream and yell horrible things at any hour of the day and night. The police have been called 17 times, but because she would not open her door, they could do nothing. The lady who owns it has done nothing that we know of as she doesn't respond. Merit Management only responds to our emails and calls by saying we are doing the best we can, but they will not tell us what that is. When we asked why they have not fined this owner, per the CC&R's we again get no response and no help. This has been going on now for 11 months. The man who lives underneath her has been fighting this as well. Apparently because she is under Section 8 and has mental problems, she gets priority over of us who live around her. We have loss sleep, and I have had to see my doctor due to anixety and high blood pressure. Neither Merit, our Board or anyone seems to care. Merit should be fighting this for us, but it appears nothing is being done. I am a senior and cannot afford to hire an attorney, but am considering going to Small Claims Court. I think our Board hired Merit because they were cheap.
Comments:2 Replies - Latest reply on 2012-09-22
Posted by Johanna on 2012-09-22:
I'm not exactly sure what small claims will do for you in this instance. Have you filed a formal complaint with the police department? Do you have documentation of the events and actions? Do you have witnesses? These would all be important to have if you want to take this to court. Even if you think you can't afford a lawyer, perhaps you should consult with one (they are usually free) and see what your options might be. If there's a financial settlement involved (this is giving you health problems after all), they may wait until you win your case to take any money.
Posted by ticia232 on 2012-09-22:
Unfortunately for you, the person does have documented mental problems and she knows and abuses it. I say you contact the ACLU on your behalf, because of the high blood pressure that you have now. It will put them into a conundrum, do we keep this person here or do we keep the person who is paying rent here.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.