E-trade Complaint - Don't open an account; you won't be able to close it
- Incoherent, buggy web-interface
- Lots of service charges
- Very poor customer service (be prepared to wait for 2 hours or more)
Here's what I went through:
- I opened an account a month back.
- I haven't been able to access the account since.
- I was charged $10 a few weeks back in a statement.
- So I decided to check again. My account still had the message "your account is temporarily unavailable. "
- So I placed a call... and started playing with the interface
- This is one of the most confusing web-pages. Most clicks take me to an 'open another account' page.
- I had to activate my service by filling a different URL. The balances seemed to show.
- I could not transfer money from my bank account (thank god)
- I could not log-in to make trades. The log-in page redirected me somewhere else.
- By this time I was frustrated. I tried to close the account, but I could do it on the web.
- And the call... it took 2 hours to talk to a customer service rep.
- He charged me another $10 to close the account.
- I told him this was ridiculous. He told me that I had to read the fine-print. He also claimed that he can not credit the account, but he can close it. And that I should take this option when I have the chance.
- I asked for the manager, and he put me on hold for another 20 minutes. The same guy picks up the phone and tells me the manager is busy.
- He claimed now that he credited the account (must have learned something new in those 20 min). The funny thing is that I still don't see the credit on my web-page.
- He then gives me a FAX number where I have to send a signed statement that I want to close my account. I did not have to do any of this when I opened an account.
eTrade is the most incompetent company I have had to deal with. Take my advice: Don't open an eTrade bank account. They are not trust-worthy people.