AT & T Complaint - I don't know what to do anymore!
BURBANK, CALIFORNIA -- My problem started in December of 2004. I discovered that when it rained my land line went out. Of course I called for repair service and it took them a few days to get out and check on it. The repairman told me at that point that he could not fix the problem until it dried out. My service was out for 10 days. (they did credit my account for that time)The next rainstorm hit soon after that and my phone went out again. I called again. They told me they needed to get to the phone box which was in a locked garage. This is my landlords garage and he does not live on the premises. I had to contact him to lend me the garage key so that I could let the reapirman in. When he looked in there he informed me that the problem was not in there it was out side and he would fix it. My phone was out for 16 days this time.(again they credited my account). Shortly after, it rained yet again and of course my phone went out. This time for nine days. Once again someone came out and told me they would fix it. My phone was out for 9 days this time.
Summer came and the raining stopped. My phone worked great. Now the rains have started again and guess what? My phone does not work when it rains. I called the repair department on March 29, 2006 and explained the problem yet again. They set up an appointment for me on April 4, 2006 between 4:00 & 8:00 p.m. which I took off of work so I could be there with the garage key that they again told me they needed access to. On the evening of March 31, 2006 a repairman showed up. Since this was not the day and time I was expecting him, I did not have a key to the garage and could not let him in. I confirmed with him that he would come back on April 4, my scheduled appointment, and I would have the key that day. April 4 came, it was raining and my phone was out and no one showed up. I sat at home waiting for 4 hours. At 8:00 p.m. I called the repair department from my cell. A recording told me that my problem had been resolved on April 3, 2006. After some irritating time going through their phone system and finally getting a real person, i once again explained the problem. They told me they were sorry and would forward my call to the escalation department and I would receive a call in 30 minutes. Of course I did not. I called the repair department yet again the morning of April 5, 2006. And yet again explained the problem to yet another person. He told me they could set up another appointment during the week. I asked if it could be after 6:00 p.m. as I could not take more time off from work. He told me that this was impossible. I finally asked to speak with his supervisor, and after a wait was connected with a very nice woman named Carrie. She saind she was very dissapointed that I had had all of these problems and offered to set up an appointment for Saturday, April 8 between 12:00 & 4:00. I was very happy with this.
Friday night April 7 when I got home there was a message that a repairman had come by and was unable to gain access. The message also said that I needed to call the repair department and they would let me know if someone could come on April 8 as had been scheduled. I called very upset and the man that I spoke with was not very nice. I asked him why they could not repair a simple problem in 1 year and 3 months. He informed me that it was because I had kept missing appoitments. I asked to speak with his supervisor. This time I gat a woman named Mary. I explaing yet again the entire situation to her. She told me that there was no way I had had an appointment on April 4 for the hours betweeen 4:00p.m. & 8:00p.m. I pretty much lost it and asked her why would I make this up, I just want my phone to work when it rains. She said she would put an order in for someone to come on April 8 as was scheduled originally, but would not know if someone could come until the morning. She told me they would let me know . Of course no one called.
I called again the afternoon of April 8 to see if anyone was coming. I was told that no one could come this weekend, but they could schedule an appointment for Monday during working hours. I once again explained the entire situation and that I could not take anymore time off of work. I did not make another appointment at this time because I do not have any faith that they will come when I schedule the appointment. I do not know what to do now because since they have merged with SBC, I have no other option for Land line service. My current plan is to try to get through to the corporate offices and complain at that level and to also report this problem to the FCC and the BBB. Whether or not this will work is a good question.