HHGregg - Installation From Hell
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA -- I bought a 55” TV on September 25th on invoice # 2311-069992. I had the store hold the TV until I was ready for the installation. Since H.H. Gregg offered an installation program, I decided to go for it. VK Seychay from Unique Home Theater Satellite contacted me by phone and came out to give us a price. The cost given to install the system was $1,347.97 (Order 2302-019791) which included a “Premium System Installation.” Also included in that total is $149.99 for RF-Module. I would like an explanation of what that is. I was also charged $199.99 for one AC Outlet Installation. That charge seems excessive. In addition, I wrote two checks totaling $200 to VK Seychay for HDMI and speaker wire cables. So for $1,547.97 I was told by VK Seychay I would have everything I asked for in the installation.
VK came on 10/16/13 to install all the equipment and how we wanted everything set up. The appointment was set for 8:30AM (I called him the night before and that was the time he said he would be at my home.) At 9AM, I called him to see where he was. He told me he was purchasing the wiring. Since VK had plenty of time between us telling him to do the job and the day he came to do the job, I thought that was unprofessional. He finally arrived at 9:20AM. He left our home at 7:50PM stating he and his assistant had “done their allotted time on the installation.” I was given very little instruction how to use the system.
I called H.H. Gregg the next day and requested a manager to come out to the house. My concerns were as follows:
• We had difficulty turning the TV on and off. The digital box sometimes did not turn on or off when we used the remote
• We had existing wiring from the crawl space up to the Bose speakers on the wall. They were located next to the molding which separates the kitchen from the family room. We told VK we wanted no wires showing. He drilled a hole a couple of feet off the floor into the wall and also seven feet up on the wall near the speakers. Since he knew where the hole was under the crawl space, all he had to do was drill the whole a couple of inches over to be inside the wall. He did the same thing on two other walls. That is three unnecessary holes and wall plates. I also don’t understand why he had to drill holes seven feet up right next to the speakers. The speakers have a base which could easily cover a hole. That was three more unnecessary holes and wall plates. I complained to Installs, Inc. and they issued a check to cover the damage.
• VK forgot to install my VCR.
• I bought a Blu-ray player at H.H. Gregg for VK to install. He told me it was not compatible. I went back to the store while he was working on the installation. I called him from the store and explained all the connections on the back of the Blu-ray player and he told me to purchase a Sony Blu-ray, WIFI, 100+APPS, HDMI (model # BDPS3100). When I went back to the house, he could not connect it to the system. I had to go back to the store and buy a Blu-ray, Samsung, 3D, Smart (model BDF5900). Apparently he did not know I needed an optical out Blu-ray player.
• I was concerned about the potential heat buildup of the Blu-ray, digital box, & receiver which were in an enclosed cabinet. VK suggested a lap top fan. It did not help.
• When I removed the old TV from a shelf, the cable wire was exposed from the wall. Again, I told VK we wanted all wires hidden.
• When we change channels quickly, the TV gets locked up.
• I purchased Netflix but we can’t use it because the TV keeps on rebooting.
• We can’t mute the TV.
I was expecting a manager to review the work done on my system. I couldn’t believe Installs sent VK. That is like having a surgeon who messed up an operation redoing the surgery! I called H.H. Gregg and told them I wanted VK out of our house. A few days later Bill Brooks came to our home. I explained the situation and he agreed that the installation was not up to par.
When VK’s assistant was rewiring one of the speakers, he broke a speaker bracket. I super glued the bracket. When Bill came to the house it broke again. Bill has since ordered a bracket. That was over a month ago.
Needless to say, we are disgusted with the installation. I have spoken to representatives of H.H. Gregg and Installs, Inc. I have not received the courtesy of expediting the completion of the job. I have been in various customer service positions for more years than I can remember. I always tell my staff to reverse rolls and become the customer. It is like the Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have others do unto you). I believe if you were me you would also be just as upset. I paid $1,547.97 for a terrible installation and follow-up.
As usual, I will continue to wait for a response. I’ve been very patient, but I have just about run out of patience. I will be contacting an attorney if this is not resolved quickly.