Washington Mutual Complaint - Washington Mutual's (Wamu's) Online Banking and Customer Service
WASHINGTON -- I was very pleased with WaMu as a student. They offered exactly what I needed: cheap checking, friendly service, and an ATM in my hometown.
Now I need a bit more, and they are not helping. Among the problems I've had with them:
- My online bank account is "hidden" and they don't reply to my e-mails, despite the fact that I am living abroad and cannot call them or go to a location.
- Speaking of living abroad, you can forget about calling wamu from a foreign country. They are supposed to have a special toll-free line for that, but it doesn't work. I've tried from four different countries, two in Europe and two in Asia.
- Which brings up another point: although I've been having money (my salary) transferred to wamu through a European bank (wamu asked no questions) for four years now, when I needed them to transfer money back through a European bank, they couldn't do it. They had to have an American bank, and I had to look that up (they don't have their own lists). Gee, how sophisticated.
- Which brings me to the last point, which is that they didn't even have the Eastern European country I'm living in listed in their list of countries!!! We all know these are new countries, but isn't 15 years enough to catch up? For crying out loud.
- Finally, it's worth mentioning that I had a family member doing my banking with power of attorney for me. Little did we know that this person's PoA had expired five years ago! Wamu never checked- even for withdrawals of over $6,000.00 USD to be transfered to the attorney themself! Fortunately, this person is trustworthy, but imagine if it had been a non-reliable person... I don't even want to know what I'd have to do to get it back.
Wamu is NOT for the international traveller or businessperson. If you're a student- why not? But if you need to do online banking, or transfer money- forget it.
More Reviews on Washington Mutual: