DirecTV Inc Informative - DirecTV Lied To Me - HR20-700
EL PASO, TEXAS -- I have Time Warner High Definition cable programming with DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and I'm pretty happy with it, but I wanted the NFL Network and it’s only offered by DirecTV. I also read the new HD-DVR equipment DirecTV was issuing was state of the art technology. I called DirecTV to start my programming and get both the NFL network and the new HD-DVR. I was excited about both but was hugely disappointed in DirecTV when it was all said and done.
They came out and installed an HR20-700 and a 5LNB dish (it's huge!!) but forgot to bring the over the air (OTA) HD antenna I had ordered. The OTA antenna allows me to receive HD local channels through the DirecTV HD receiver. This was important because DirecTV does not transmit HD local channels in my area yet. I ordered an antenna on-line and it arrived yesterday. I connected it then called DirecTV for assistance. Had I read some of the Audio/Video forums before, I would have known that the OTA option is not available on the new HD-DVR unit. DirecTV lied! They told me it would and even sold me an antenna to use it with…LIARS!! Why would they offer to install an OTA antenna if it wouldn't even work? I think it was just to get me signed with the hopes of me keeping their service anyway. DirecTV told me that the OTA function would be available some time soon, and that the local channels in HD will also be available soon, I don't believe them. I don’t like being misled/lied to, so I took advantage of the 7 day return policy and cancelled my service. Besides the fact that DirecTV gave me misleading information, the equipment they provided was terrible. Here are some of the problems I had with the HR20-700:
1. It just stops. I'll be watching something and the screen freezes. No rewind no FF, just stops. I have to change channels to reset it.
2. Doesn't record full show. I set it to record Walking Tall on Showtime and it only recorded about 30 minutes of it and then stopped.
3. I set it to record Domino on TMC and it didn't record anything.
4. When changing from a HD channel to a regular channel, it takes about 3-5 seconds to receive it. It goes through three or four green screens before showing me the channel.
5. The remote is horrible. I have to hit guide button twice to see the guide? Give me a break. The buttons also seem to be in bad places and I usually hit the wrong button when trying to do it from memory.
6. The lights in the front are very annoying. There's a circle of blue lights that don't seem to serve any purpose and at first looked great, but now are kind of a beating.
7. No clock on the front of the unit.
Since I'm still within seven days of installing it, I was given the option of returning it and canceling my subscription, so I did. I'm going to stick with Time Warner for now. I get local HD channels and the DVR is pretty good but more importantly it's RELIABLE. There are too many bugs in the HR20's software for me to deal with. I hope this helps you decide on upgrading/subscribing