Symantec - Norton Anti-virus Complaint - Ripped off by Symantec!
I have done scans once a week since I installed norton anti-virus in Feb. For the last two months I get "no threats found" at the end of the scan, but my computer was running slow and I'd scan with spybot and adaware and they'd come up with threats. So I started an online chat with norton's customer service. They charged me $39.95 and we chatted for about an hour and a half and then they said turn off your computer and restart it. I said that he online chat would end but my problem wasn't fixed and I had paid 40 bucks. They gave me a chat number I was supposed to enter and it would get me back to online chat without having to pay.
I shut down my computer, re-started it, went back online and entered my chat #. Message came back that no CSR was waiting for my chat and I couldn't get through to anyone. I called the 800 number (call center in India) and they said that they could help, that they had to charge me again $40 but they'd credit the other charge. We went through and identified the threats and then Rajeesh said that if I wanted them to remove them it would be another $30! So I got out my credit card for a third time! All the while I'm saying to myself "norton is the gold standard in AV, right?" I also thought of the $270 I paid to get my computer fixed after it crashed because of viruses, so I figured I'd spend the money now or later.
We got everything fixed and again I was assured that I'd get a credit on the first $40 charge. Two days later I received a call on my answering machine from norton that I returned. The message sounded like it was from Rajeesh's sister, except her english was worse than Rajeesh and she talked faster. I called it and they told me that someone would be in touch with me in 24 hours about my credit. I told them that there was no question about the credit, that it was promised and I expected it would come. He hemmed and hawed. I started shouting. I figured that would help them understand my english better, right? I told them I expected a call in 60 min about my credit or I was going to contact my bank and dispute the charges. Well nobody called me back, ever! It could be that they didn't want to talk to the screaming lady in NC.
A few days later I saw the first two charges post to my account as a purchase from Symantec and let them be. Three days after that I noticed a $39.95 charge by a company called ISEVA. Did some research and found out it was an offshore clearing house that Symantec billed through. I called my bank and disputed the charge and they told me the only way I could get it taken off my account was to cancel my debit card and have them send me a new one. So I cancelled my debit card and am cardless for about 10 days!
I spent a total of 6 hrs on the phone/net with symantec and I've spent more time trying to straighten out the charges. I'm doing the same kind of surfing I did before and even after doing live updates and manually run scans I'm not coming up with any threats. Rajeesh told me not to download free software and not to run spybot or adaware, which I haven't.
I want an anti-virus that protects my computer and I don't have to spend an extra $70 mid year to fix what's gotten through.