Swiffer WetJet Informative - Swiffer WetJet dangerous to animals

Review by CrisDomin on 2006-11-08
This is an email I just received from a friend and felt the need to post on here:

SWIFFER WETJET

I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause
was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind! The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house.
When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients.
(actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze).

Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wet jet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.
This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot.
Comments:16 Replies - Latest reply on 2009-08-07
Posted by KCRovert on 2006-11-08:
Some people will believe anything:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
Posted by Anonymous on 2006-11-08:
Yep, always gotta check snopes first!
Posted by heaven17 on 2006-11-08:
You guys beat me to it. It amazes me that people have computers and internet and believe every email they get without doing a little fact-checking first. Research, people.
Posted by Anonymous on 2006-11-08:
Yep, I saw this one from a mile away.
Posted by Skye on 2006-11-08:
I wasn't going to comment because I knew this wasn't true, especially since I have one, and couldn't find anywhere on the bottle that it wasn't safe. This person is a jerk, and this place is for posting, but stuff like this could upset alot of people who may have believed it. Thanks KC, EMT,Heaven for posting.
Posted by Anonymous on 2006-11-08:
And Pirate.
Posted by DebtorBasher on 2006-11-08:
Cris had good intentions on posting this, not knowing if it were true or not...It's better to be warned about something that may not be harmful, than not to be warned about something that is...I didn't check it out on snopes, because it looks like everyone else did...but still, I'm sure the poster did not post this with any other intention but to warn us agaisnt something they believed would be harmful to the animals and kids...also, with the comments posted above, it will bring it to the attention if other's get the same email.
Posted by Skye on 2006-11-08:
Sorry PWP< of course you :)
Posted by Anonymous on 2006-11-09:
My liver is shot, but it isn't from licking my paws.
Posted by Anonymous on 2006-11-09:
DB... you may see good intentions, but I see someone who posted starting with a big lie (my neighbor's dog...) The post would have been equally helpful, although not true, if Cris just started out by truthfully saying "I have heard that...". I just don't have much patience for the fools who propogate this type of nonsense.
Posted by DebtorBasher on 2006-11-09:
Ken...at the beginning of the post it was stated that the poster's friend got that email, not the poster...I think the poster did have good intentions.
Posted by DebtorBasher on 2006-11-09:
Sheriff, your liver is shot from drinking too many shots :)
Posted by Ruthie0717 on 2006-11-13:
This is an urban legend. It is not true. People make up this stuff, then pass it along the internet.

I've used the Swiffer, and have a dog and a cat, and it has done no damage to either one. We've used it for years.
Posted by Fufu487 on 2009-08-07:
Im glad you posted the Snopes review on it. to be honest, I believed the circulating e-mail and discontinued using the Swiffer WetJet in my home. I feel very nieve for believing it. I just felt better safe than sorry. This post was very helpful, but only in the comments section. Thanks KCR!!!
Posted by Eloise on 2009-08-07:
Ruthie, I'm with you.
Posted by BokiBean on 2009-08-07:
I remember the same thing happened with Febreeze...total hogwash but a lot of people bought into it.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:
(required)

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling


By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.


Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.