Advice for travelers from hotel worker Informative - Hotels
Ok.. I am going to offer a little advice to travelers.. whether you are a business traveler or the occasional traveler.
1. If you make your reservation online or over a franchise 1800 number, always call the hotel directly to ask specific questions regarding your stay. Directions (ie road construction, internet service, gyms, breakfast, pool) the 1800 and net reservations don't always know if there is a problem at the hotel.
2. I advise to not use travelocity, hotwire, etc sites, they have strict cancelation policies .. hotels are a bit more relaxed.. most have same day no penalty cancelations..
3. Before you unload all of your luggage, always go up to the room and inspect it before accepting the room.. I hope that all the rooms are clean and satisfactory but sometimes things happen and they aren't.. and for this I appologize. Do not accept a room that is not clean, sanitized, or uncomfotable feeling.
4. Never, never leave valuables in your car, we try to keep the parking lot safe but we cannot see everything at all times.
5. Do not leave valuables in your room. I trust my employees.. but at times you just never know. I hate to say this. but it happens to the best of us trying to run hotels.
6. Dont stay at a hotel if you do not feel the area is safe...
7. Please remeber that the person or persons on duty are human. We do sometimes make mistakes. I try my best to rectify these mistakes in a professional manner, but if you start yelling and cursing.. I am human.. I may yell back.. and I am sorry about this i know it's not professional but we do respond better to actuall discussions and i understand that you may be upset.
8. always remember to get a copy of your bill and look at it before you sign it. Most of the charges are posted by the computer and it sometimes does make errors.. we do our best to correct these.
9. ON the sites as travelocity, orbitz, hotwire, etc. remember in most cases we the hotel are not the ones charging your card.. they are. they provide us with a one time use card to charge.
10. Please remember, that you are the one paying for the services and you have a right to be upset, but it is easier to get a more satisfactory response to stating the facts and not yelling and cursing
11. this may sound strange coming from someone who works at a hotel.. but if you have a problem with the room or any area of the hotel.. take pictures to back up the claims.. I even tell guests that have stayed here to do that.. I just know how management can be.
I have a lot more advice. so if you have questions please dont hesistate to ask.. I will be happy to answer them.. I have worked in the hotel industry for almost 9 years. I enjoy making a guests stay as relaxing as possible and as "homey" feeling as possible
Thank you for your time