Data Doctors Informative - Data Doctors Ripoff artists
FOUNTAIN HILLS, ARIZONA -- Data Doctors operates on this one simple premise.
Give the customer a free coupon through mass mailing, and local media newspapers to get you into the store for their "free computer checkup," then hopefully find something wrong with the computer (which is what you're there for in the first place) and then bill you $89.00 minimum per hour and 25% + on parts markup. They will not tell you what is wrong with the pc in many instances as a ploy to get you to commit to their service, and send you away just as stymied as when you first came in if you don't commit. Not only are they horrendously overpriced, but the Franchise distributor wants a prospective franchisee to buy the stores in three packs. That way he knows "you are motivated to run the operation." What a nice guy huh?......Put you into major debt then charge you huge royalty fees. Seems the only thing serious here is Data Doctors attempting to become overnight successes off of each individual that is foolish enough to invest in them. There are many less expensive alternatives to computer repair and computer repair businesses at much less the cost and hassle.
A typical scenario is this:
1.Customer brings in a slow acting computer in for the "free checkup."
2.A technician boots the pc, and paints a dire picture regarding spyware,
possible viruses, and other mundane issues which may or may not exist.
3.The technician tells you that it will probably take 3 or more hours to get the computer to off the shelf condition totalling about 270.00 U.S.
4.You agree and put the 89.00 non-refundable deposit down.
5.The technician spends anywhere from 1.5 20 2.5 hours depending.
Now here is the clincher, this list was sent to me from a former customer and this is Data Doctors 20 point diagnostic check that you pay 270.00 for.
Every item they utilize to fix your pc is free and can readily be found on the Internet.
possible viruses and other mundane issues which may or may not exist.
DATA DOCTORS 24 POINT PC CHECKLIST
1) Removed Hard Drive from system and connected to Lab machine. (Not Necessary, and can be done without removal)
2) Performed Anti Virus Scan utilizing 2 separate scanning programs-Found and removed __ infected files. (Nothing more than running an anti-virus program on the c: drive)
3.) Reinstalled drive (Easy Enough)
4.) Ran MSConfig utility to check for excessive processes and performed a normal start up. (Something a child can do at home) Type MSConfig in the start\run\ and uncheck what you don't want to load on startup,
5.) Checked System date and time for accuracy. (Another no-brainer)
6) Disabled System Restore and deleted unnecessary files. (Completely unnecessary)
7) Ran the windows disk clean utility and deleted temp files. (Again can be done at home for free by R clicking on you c: drive and left clicking on properties and choosing delete temp files)
8) Checked the windows device manager for duplicate entry’s and/or errors. (No performance increase)
9) Boot to Windows Safe mode to run Spyware cleanup (A free utility called spybot free for download of the Internet accomplishes this)
10) Installed and ran Anti-Spyware Applications (Once again 2 free downloads off of the internet Ad aware and Spybot)
11) ETrust Pest Patrol deleted __ Spyware files. (Redundant)
12)Activated Spybot’s Host File blocking utility (All done automatically by the free utility...download here )
13) Ad-Aware found and deleted __ (Again free...download here ad-aware.
14) Spyware Blaster found and deleted __
15) Hijack this found and deleted __ (Another free download)
16) Created Disabled Start-up folder and copied unnecessary start-up applications over (Not necessary)
17) Checked Windows device manager for updated drivers and missing hardware drivers. (Anyone can do this at home)
18) Verified Internet Connectivity and logon (Duh)
19) Installed __ Microsoft critical updates (Free Windows update that can be done at home)
20) Installed __ Microsoft recommended updates (Free Windows update that can be done at home)
21) Updated Antivirus software if applicable (Free with any anti-virus utilized by you.)
22) Performed a second complete virus check (Redundant)
23) Performed error Check and Defragmentation of primary Hard Drive (Once again free and all found in the Windows System tools)
24) Performed Interior and exterior cleaning of system ( $4.00 can of Airduster,paper towels. and Windex)
Is this worth the $300.00 that they charge folks?
You be the judge.
One can buy a brand new pc for a few dollars more.