American River Health Pro Credit Union Complaint - Check order gone wrong

Review by 39417 on 2007-04-13
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA -- I had to order new checks,so i went ahead and ordered them thru my bank(ARHCU). Two weeks came and went,no checks.So I go into my local branch office to see what the hold up is. I was informed that my box of checks was delivered a week ago.I advised that it was impossible,I never recieved the checks.They pulled up the info online, and advised the checks went to a house that I lived in over 2 years ago. I would get my statements and other assorted mail from the bank at my new residence, but not my checks.Well of course the person didn't return the checks,and went on an online shopping spree(that the police can do jack sh*t about since the frauded companies were not in the Sacramento area). The bank advised that they could put a stop payment on that box,which they did.After about $8500.00 worth of bad checks written the bank cancelled my account(which is what I asked them to do the second I found out about this mess). Two of the checks went thru before the bank caught on about this.They told me that they could not reverse the charges, and I was out about $80.00, So I guess I bought the thief some pizza,and some shoes(both purchased in the Sacramento area,but still the detectives can do nothing). To add insult to injury I had to pay for the box of checks I never received, the bank would not reverse the charge. I guess thats why I'm so angry.
Comments:13 Replies - Latest reply on 2007-04-19
Posted by *Brenda* on 2007-04-13:
Geez, the police really won't do anything about the person who stole your checks, just because stuff was purchased online? That's pretty crappy. Isn't it mail fraud too, since they opened mail that wasn't theirs?
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-04-13:
Yeah its pretty frustrating,Ive done more detective work than the cops,I have email addresses,phone numbers,signatures.All the frauded companies have been very helpful,after they get my fraud affidavits.The weird thing is that I am constantly receiving catalogs from these companies at my current address.LMAO
Posted by *Brenda* on 2007-04-13:

Maybe try to contact your local postal inspector?

The people who did that need to be punished!
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-04-13:
I agree,When i called the detectives office,I admit I was a little frustrated,but in no way was I rude,I was asked if I personally had gone by the house to confront the theif.I told this person i was told to stay away,and let the detectives do their job when I filed the report.So just about every day the bank calls me."guess what another check was returned you'll need to come in and get another fruad affidavit".ARGHHHH
Posted by Hugh_Jorgen on 2007-04-13:
On the two checks that went thru for $80, why won't the bank reverse these? If it's not your signature, it should not be your problem. Good luck with this one!
Posted by poppapia on 2007-04-13:
Hugh is exactly right. Dispute these checks with your bank based on fraudulent signatures, and make them validate the endorsement. Once they find out they can not do this, it should be a nonissue as far as getting your $80 back.
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-04-13:
the bank told me they could not reverse those charges because they were made before I found out about this whole mess.There was one $45.00 charge to pizza hut that they credited back.
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-04-13:
Just to clarify the $45.00 i got back was not part of the $80.00.I guess they like pizza,because Ive got like 6 or 7 more bad checks returned all from the same pizza hut.UM DUH!Geez you'd figure the same Pizza Hut would not accept any more business from the FAKE ME.
Posted by Cyane on 2007-04-13:
I am wondering whether you had previously ordered checks imprinted with your new address. Many of the programs banks use to reorder checks do not automatically pull updated information from their data systems into the check reorder program. Therefore, if your imprint information is inaccurate, it will remain inaccurate. If your imprint was still set to your previous address and you wanted your checks mailed to your address, they would have been mailed to the imprint address unless you notified the clerk of a special mailing address.

This is why I -always- ask customers if their information is current and correct. I typically do not go through the customer's profile and compare the address to the imprint because many customers purposefully choose a different imprint (different address, no address, etc). It is possible the CSR asked you if your information was current and you said yes, believing this to be so because your mailing address for the bank had been correctly changed.

I often recommend to customers that they have their debit cards/credit cards/checks/other sensitive materials shipped directly to the bank to prevent fraudulent activity from happening. It is not uncommon for sensitive data to be stolen from a mailbox.

Your CU should have refunded you all the charges incurred due to the fraudulent activity. I hope they did not charge you for a stop payment on the entire box. Keep in mind, stop payments typically only remain in effect for six months so after six months have passed, you should place another stop payment order on the remaining checks.
Posted by rhondam718732 on 2007-04-16:
Your abk wouldn't reverse the charges because "they were made before I found out about this whole mess." Either I am missing something or that's the silliest thing I've heard. As long as the checks were not signed by you (doesn't your bank have your signature on file?) then you can prove their are fraud.
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-04-16:
Yes they have my sig,I was told that the charges could not be reversed because they were made before "we"(me and my bank)found out about the stolen box of checks.They are not accepting any responsibility for this.I have recently opened an account at a different credit union,and pulled my funds from the other
Posted by D. on 2007-04-19:
You need to close that account and open another bank. Reason being, that the bank only tells you they would put a stop payment on that box of checks...well, that isn't going to do anything in the future...they already have your account number and tracking number...all they have to do is buy the Quicken checks program or any check printing 20 bucks or so, and print up all the checks they want as long as your account is still open. You need to close the account completely...I don't see why the police can't arrest them, they have all the proof their address etc...what's wrong with them? Good luck to you, it's going to take some time for this to clear up.
Posted by D. on 2007-04-19:
Sorry...I just read your above comment where you stated you closed your account and moved the funds...good for you.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.