Dish Network Complaint - Considering initiation of a class action lawsuit.
Over the past 6 months or so, I have had four Dish DVRs (Model 510 and 508) replaced by Dish Network for the following problems.
1. System freezes when trying to play a recorded show while recording another. Recovery requires total system reboot (all the way to "acquiring satellites") causing disruption of service for several minutes.
2. System sporadically reboots on its own (all the way back to "acquiring satellites") causing disruption of service for several minutes.
3. System freezes up while in record mode, recording blank programming and missing scheduled recordings until being discovered frozen and being rebooted.
4. DVR not recording the last 5 minutes or so of programs that have been recorded (causing loss of final episode ending on a few occaisions).
This morning the current DVR510 (replaced less than a month ago) sporadically rebooted when I tried to use the "replay" function to catch something missed on a live newscast.
When I called customer service, they acknowledged these were known problems since about February. They informed me that my option was to upgrade to their HD DVR model (for a price) and sign up for 18 months of service with a cancellation penalty for early termination.
I have been a Dish Network customer for over 5 years, paying them approximately $100 per month for over 2 years of "Americas top everything" package. When I escalated my technical support call to the on duty supervisor, he too informed that upgrading under the onerous terms was my only option.
How can a company knowingly inflict a defective product on its customers, then expect them to pay extra to resolve THEIR issue?
I am writing this review for two reasons.
1. To raise awareness of Dish Network's DVR issue, as well as their cavalier attitude toward their customers.
2. To find out how many other wronged Dish Network customers like me there are out there.