Izzy's Complaint - Disgusting Eating Experience

Review by Ricky Tee on 2007-07-01
EVERETT, WASHINGTON -- Last week I visited the Izzy's Restaurant in Everett Washington on Evergreen Way. This was a 1st time experience for me. Upon enterering I asked the hostess if could view the salad bar before we decided to stay or not, I noticed that a few of the salad serving bowls were empty, but she said they would be soon refilled. (a server refilled them with one gloved hand, no utensil) Then we sat down and much to our dismay, we were seated by the dirty dish return area. The guy who appeared to be the busboy came walking by with a HUGE stack of dirty dishes and began to scrape them with his bare hands into the garbage area, then reached into a bucket of bleach water (I would hope) wrung out the rag, and proceeded to wash down the empty tables. I hate to think how dirty that rag was bleach or not! I asked him if he always scrapes the plates with his barenaked hands and he said "Yeah" as he rushed by. I then saw the same guy again carrying clean dishes over to the serving area. He was moving so fast you could see he was seriously over worked. We then moved our seats way over to the other end of the place in hopes of not observing this guys gross technique of dish cleaning, and again to my dismay we were sitting by the other dirty dish area. (these dish areas are open and in full view) This time there was a young girl scraping away at dirty dishes with other peoples dirty eating utensils. She never wore gloves, did not wash her hands and also dipped her filthy hands into a bucket of mirky water with food floating in it (I looked in the bucket after she left) she also proceeded to wash down the empty tables in the same fashion. The final straw for me was when I witnessed a patron lick their fingers 3 times while at the serving bar and another guy smell a scoop of potatoes and then toss them back into the serving dish......so I called the manager, explained the dish cleaning /table observation and requested a refund for us, as I had lost my appetite. She refunded the money, said she was sorry and that the help was to use paper towels to clean the plates......."Whatever!" I still think that restaurant needs to clean up it's act and keep the busboys separate from the table washers.....if not, how about rubber gloves or keeping the dirty dishes out of site behind a screen or in the kitchen? Hope I dont sound like Howard Hughes or a germ freak, but what I saw that day really grossed me out! And by the way, my dad is a Chef in a real restaurant, even he would of left. Thanks for letting me vent.
Comments:8 Replies - Latest reply on 2007-07-03
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-07-01:
Now did you ask for a refund before you started eating or after you started eating? If it was after you could easily eat as much as you want and say you want a refund because the restauranty was "disgusting". That is why she said no, but if you did not eat yet then you are not scamming and should get the refund.
Posted by Skye on 2007-07-01:
So what did the manager say, when you brought it to her/his attention??
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-07-01:
There's something about buffet style dining that is unappealing to begin with. Just think about all those customers that have gone before you that haven't washed their hands.
Posted by Dedicated Reader on 2007-07-01:
I think you handled yourself very well and the manager was certainly justified in refunding your money and apologizing.

I don't consider you a "germ freak," but someone who understands the importance of cleanliness in a restaurant. I'm grossed out by your description of another customer who sampled some of the food and then tossed the remainder of his sample back into the communal dish. Yech!

Have you considered notifying the local Health Department?
Posted by Ponie on 2007-07-01:
DR, I didn't read the complaint the same as you. I didn't see where a customer sampled some of the food and tossed the remainder back into the dish. Be that as it may, I agree with justcuz. You can't very well monitor the customers' behavior at a buffet restaurant. Seems to me this poster was just looking for a way to get a free meal. Does she wear gloves when scraping leftovers from dinner plates when her family is finished eating? Whoever heard of wearing gloves to clear *garbage*? Even went so far as go to look in the bucket the gal dipped her hands. GB got it right. After the last spoon/forkful of her dessert was finished, she went to the manager to complain. Go to a 5 star restaurant next time. But you take your chances because there you don't see how the dirty dishes and clearing of them is handled.
Posted by Ricky Tee on 2007-07-01:
Me again. No, I did not take advantage of the full buffet, I had 3 bites from my plate, then had to push it to end of the table. I was done. I really did lose my appetite immediatly. The manager was quite polite and refunded my money, I apologized for requesting the refund (after attempting to eat) and thanked her. You are right about buffets, they are hard to monitor due to so many peoples habits and manners. The guy who put the slab of potatoes back into the serving bowl did not eat them, he smelled them. I usually do go to better places to eat, but at the encouragement of my fellow diner, I went forth to with good intent. I have also seen their family friendly ads on TV. In the future I will stay away from chain style buffets. But I still have never witnessed the cleaning of the dishes in such a careless manner, out in the full view of the diners. In my opinion they could improve on their method of disposing the used food and dirty dishes. PS: The best buffet I have ever attended was the Mothers Day Buffet at a Marriot Hotel. That one had real class and they wisked their dirty dishes away out of sight.
Posted by Anonymous on 2007-07-01:
justcus - Just think of one of those customer's with a three year old that picked his nose and touched the salad bar, or perhaps he played with himself before touching the salad bar.
Posted by doescustomerserviceexist? on 2007-07-03:
If you don't like that then don't go to OCB. I went on a week night, and the food was kinda pink looking. I asked about it and was told that they take the food out to serve a little early and let the warmers finnish cooking the item like fish and chicken. Eww. Sorry that dosen't work. I used the restroom latter that night and there was puck all over I wonder why???? NOT.....

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:
(required)

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling


By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.


Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.