Alitalia Informative - Avoid Alitalia at all costs
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS -- I have traveled internationally for over 30 years and have never haver experienced an airline as poor as Alitalia. They should be avoided at all costs. Their flights are perpetually late for no reason, the flight attendants are surly and rude, and they lose your baggage even if you check in THREE hours prior to the scheduled take off. The staff is unapologetic and arrogant.
Our last flight on July 15, 2007 from Rome to Boston included sitting for no given reason on the runway in Rome for nearly one hour making us nearly miss our connecting flight in Boston. One stewardess repeatedly slammed in to flyers whose seats were on the aisle (inlcuding mine) and did not apologize once. By the time the meals were being served (halfway through the economy cabin), they only had fish to offer. It was inedible (my family likes fish) and when passengers were complaining, the flight attendants snarled back and said that is all that they had (no contrition or customer service). Similarly, a week and a half earlier when we flew from London to Rome, my wife asked an attendant for water for our two young children when the beverage cart was coming down the aisle. I could see the attendant's face as I was seperated and sitting several rows back. She rolled her eyes and snarled and did this with several passengers. It was not unique to Americans, but aimed at passengers of all nationalities.
Upon arriving in Boston minus one suitcase, there was not one Alitalia representative at the gate to direct passengers to connecting flights. It was mayhem and a see of humanity running frantically with luggage, children, etc to re-check bags after customs to catch connecting flights. Six families (including us) were filing lost baggage claims and barely made their respective connections. To sum it up, we found Alitalia:
- Planes that are dirty and worn and look as though they have not been updated in the past two to three decades
- To have flight attendants who are snarky, rude, and must hate their jobs and people in general
- Perpetually late in taking off without offering any reasons
- To be at best, a "third world" airline that does not value their customers or trying to improve or even have a good reputation.
- Other passengers in Rome who flew on our plane said that their flights from Milan to Venice with Alitalia were arbitrarily cancelled without excuse. My wife, from the former Soviet Union, said Alitalia's quality of service reminded her of Aeroflot which we would NEVER fly as well.
I will never fly this airline again and would advise anyone to avoid them at all costs unless they want to arrive at their destination feeling violated, berated, and nearly half sick from the conditions of the airplanes and food.
More Reviews on Alitalia: