Home Depot Complaint - Poor Installation - Home Depot -- Garbage Disposal Installation
MESA, ARIZONA -- July 2007, I purchased a garbage disposal at Home Depot, and paid $95 for installation. I explained details surrounding the "old" disposal. At the time of contract signing, I was told the installers were expert plumbers who had all the tools to remedy my problem. I was also told there May be an additional charge if there was a clogged drain. (Arizona law requires the installer to be a licensed plumbing contractor!)
To make a long story short, the installer spoke very limited English, and did not appear to know what he was doing. He left my kitchen, laundry room and hallway standing in an inch of foul reeking water. His only comment: CALL ROTO-ROOTER!
I spoke with the Manager at the Home Depot and she was very cordial, assuring me the installers were all plumbers. She further stated the installer should never have left my home in that condition. Although she further guaranteed me that someone would be calling me the following day, I have not heard from anyone!
Since the incident, fans have been going non-stop. I have applied a gallon of bleach to my tile floors, and spent hours on my hands and knees sopping up disgusting water. The house still reeks of a foul odor!
I am appalled at the caliber of individual with whom the Home Depot contracted. I have requested to see his credentials. If you buy a product to be installed by Home Depot contractors, you will not know in advance anything about that business, including the name.
My advice: Hire an independent contractor. Prior to signing any contract, check the Arizona Contractor's License for complaint history at www.rc.state.az.us. If the workmanship is shoddy, file pertinent complaints with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors, and the Better Business Bureau. Contact the appropriate law enforcement agency if the workers are not "legal."
I intend to pursue this matter to the bitter end! By the way, I have Cystic Fibrosis, and any kind of musty air or mold could be fatal. Thanks a lot, Home Depot!