Ashley Furniture Compliment - A class act
NORTH BRUNSWICK, NEW JERSEY -- We bought a Brittany Court Dining Room and a Millenium Bedroom Set (don't remember the name of the bedroom set) from Ashley a couple of months ago from a store in North Brunswick, NJ. My fiancee and I walked into the store just on a whim. We sort of compulse bought our furniture there.
What I liked about the store from the onset is that the sales people did not employ any high pressure sales tactics. In fact, they made it clear that they wouldn't bother us unless we asked for help. That was refreshing after having visited furniture where someone tails you like a hungry kitten. The other thing that was excellent was that a 5 piece bedroon set was a dresser, a bed, two nightstands, and a chest. In other stores, a 5-piece bedroom set was often a headboard, a footoard, rails, a dresser and 1 nightstand. Or the other tactic: to call a dresser and a mirror 2 pieces. Anyway, we spent a couple of hours looking around in the store. When we finally settled on something we liked we decided to buy it, but were told that if we payed cash, they would give us a 10% discount. I agreed, and went home to get my checkbook and returned with a check for ~$7000.
We ordered the furniture, and set the delivery date for ~1 month later because our new home was being painted. When we returned home we started doing some research on the company, and were horrified with the reviews Ashley was getting. I was angry... especially after reading about the 25% restocking fee, and after reading awful review after awful review, and realizing that I had paid them with a check so I had no other recourse but canceling the check and eating a hefty restocking fee. I decided to keep the order active and braced for the worst.
When the furniture came, my friend was still painting the house... I was at work and he accepted the order. I came home to find the following problems:
1. The dining room table was not level. In fact, if I put a tennis ball on it, it would roll right off.
2. One of the lights in the China cabinet was burned out
3. Out of 8 chairs, only 3 didn't wobble. Of the 5 that wobbled, 3 of them were severe
4. There was a deep gouge in one of the leafs of the table that someone had tried (badly) to repair. Actually, this one wasn't as bad as it sounds because it was a 'distressed' table, so it wasn't that obvious. I was prepared to let that one go.
The bedroom set was actually quite good. No complaints with that. I called Ashley and prepared myself for the worst customer service experience of my life. It never came. On the contrary, it was one of the best. First of all, while someone rarely answered the telephone when I would call the service department, they always returned my calls. Many times I couldn't get right back to them, and they would call multiple times trying to get in touch with me and make things right. Their remedies:
1: A technician came out and said that my floor was not level. I told him that it was, and proved it with a level. He was unwilling to admit that there is anything wrong with the table level. Oh well, it didn't matter, because he agreed that there was a problem with the gouge, and that he would recommend full replacement
2: They sent me an entire lighting fixture (not just a bulb) for the China, "just in case its the fixture and not the bulb". Wow.
3. Technician leveled all of the chairs. I think he sanded down some of the legs, then installed felt pads to protect my hardwood floors
4. He made his replacement recommendation due to the gouge. A couple of weeks later I got a call from Ashley and we scheduled delivery of the replacement table. The delivery guys that came were very courteous and professional. When they took the defective table top off of the table, I examined the pedestals. One thing I hadn't noticed is that the pedestals had leveling screws at the bottom, and a couple of them were screwed out, which was in effect unleveling the table. Why the tech didn't know about this feature is way beyond me. The delivery guys knew about it and seemed amused that the tech didn't (this is my one complaint). They decided to replace only the table top, and keep my old pedestals. The knew tabletop looked perfect.
Ashley is not fine, handcrafted, furniture, nor do they claim to be. But their furniture is certainly nice, and sturdy. In contrast to other experiences I've read about, my experience with their customer service was phenomenal. I definitely highly recommend them... at least definitely the store in North Brunswick, NJ
Company Response on 09/29/2008:
At Ashley Furniture HomeStore we strive to make your shopping experience far superior to that of the competition. Our ultimate goal is to provide 5 Star Service to each and every customer, if you feel we have fallen short of our goal please contact our customer care department at CustomerSupport@AshleyHS.com or 732-658-8850 and our customer service representatives will make every attempt to address your concerns. Thank you.
More Reviews on Ashley Furniture: