DirecTV Inc Informative - Automatic contract extension after equipment replacement
I recently replaced a defective leased receiver. After the service was reactivated I was informed that this replacement automatically triggered a new one year commitment. I complained and here is a summary of what I was told by various customer service reps about policies that cover this issue:
1. DirecTV can unilaterally initiate a contract for a 1 to 2 year extension of service or charge a $175 termination fee (12.50/month prorated) if the service is terminated within the extension period. Customer knowledge or consent is not required! Any subsequent replacement will generate another commitment extension.
2. The new contract starts when the service is reactivated. At that time it becomes legally binding and cannot be cancelled. Again, customer knowledge or consent is not required.
2. Replacement components are usually "reconditioned". DirecTV is not obligated to replace any defective component with a new one.
3. There is no warranty of any kind, all equipment is provided "as is."
4. These policies (except #3) are NOT in writing. The Consumer Agreement (April 2007) both printed version and website are completely silent about leasing, contract extensions, termination fees, etc.
From a supervisor I found out that there is a 3-day return privilege during which a contract extension can be cancelled. I had previously talked to at least 6 reps and none mentioned this policy. Is there a reason for that?
DirecTV customers need to be careful and ask questions when replacing leased equipment especially since DirecTV does not make policies covering these issues available to their customers.