Whirlpool - Astoundingly Bad Quality
Duet washer and dryer - Complaint
We bought the top-of-the-line Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer three years ago for the front-load format, low-water usage, and expected longevity.
1) Dryer turns off before clothes were dry on automatic cycle. Warranty visit replaced parts. Marginal improvment.
2) Dryer turns off before clothes were dry. Warranty visit found no trouble. The problem continues to this day.
3) Dryer doesn't get hot. Authorized service visit replaced parts for $275.
4) Washer tub bangs sides on spin cycle and washer walks across the room regardless of load size. Authorized service visit proposed a $600 parts overhaul. I fixed it myself for $80 of parts. It was caused by poor engineering that omitted a lock washer and poor factory assembly leaving a nut loose.
5) Washer smells continuously. Whirlpool says to run a hot bleach cycle. It really requires a 6x/yr bleach scrubbing of the plastic collar folds in front of the drum to control some of the smell. Bacteria embeds in the plastic and the smell comes back quickly. Regardless, the first load of a day releases sewer gas into the room that is not improved by hot bleach loads.
6) Washer door handle plus dial knobs on both washer and dryer cracked off with gentle handling. The same poorly-designed replacement knob is $20 for $.02 worth of plastic.
Wife complains continuously. I'll never buy another Whirlpool anything.