Dish Network Complaint - Dish Network Overall
LAKE CITY, FLORIDA -- 01) On 09/22/07 I decided to cancel my cable TV service and switch to satellite. I chose Dish Network.
02) I googled for DN signup website and filled in all of the appropriate personal information and gave them my credit card number.
03) Sunday 09/23/07, I got a call from someone that said they are from DN and would like me to sign up for Blockbusteronline services. I said I just want DN, not blockbuster.
04) An installation person came out two days later and everything was fine.
05) I did not get a billing statement in the mail for over 3 weeks so I went to the DN website and entered the account number from the installation paperwork. The DN website replied "we are having technical difficulties" try later.
06) Meanwhile, I got my credit card statement and there was a charge of $49 for DN -and- a charge from Blockbusteronline for $10.69.
07) I called DN about the BBO charge and they said I would have to call BBO myself to cancel the subscription to their service. I tried calling by I was put on hold for 15 minutes, called again and the automated voice said "due to
call volume we cannot accept any more calls". So I emailed them.
08) I got another charge on my credit card the next month from BBO so I had to cancel my credit card completely and cannot have another one with Bank Of America because they said, "you have a charge to your account that is done on a monthly basis and the charge will be accepted even though you have changed your credit card account number". "It is up to you to call BBO and have them stop charging your account". I said: "What if my credit card was stolen?". They said it is still up to you.
09) Then I get a phone call from DN and they told me service will be cancelled in 7 day unless I immediately pay my bill with a credit card. I told them I never received a statement and they said, yes, we always send out statements sir.
10) After a few more phone calls I finally got a
hold of someone at DN that actually knew what
they were doing and he told me that someone had
checked the box "suppress statements" and he
offered me $70 to stay with DN instead of
switching to DirecTV.
I told him "No thanks, I have had enough".
11) A couple days later, I got my two statements
in the mail and noticed I was signed up for "Dish
Home Protection Program (DHPP)" to the tune of
$7.72 a month. I had declined this when I had
signed up for Dish Network.
12) So I owe them a month and half of services
plus the $226.00 cancellation fee and whatever
taxes and added charges they might want to add
13) In conclusion, at least they sent me a
prepaid UPS box to ship their equipment back to
14) Anyway, it turns out I did the right thing to
cancel Dish Network, because DirecTV if far
superior in every respect.
15) Dish Network interrupts your viewing for 3 to
5 minutes every other day to "download
information" to your receiver. DirecTV has NO
interruption in service.
I believe it is because if you look at your DN
satellite dish the equipment looks like a pair of
binoculars pointing at the dish. On the other
hand, DirecTV has three eyes pointing at the
16) Everything you do with the Dish Network
remote control unit is very basic. DirecTV is
far superior in every respect.
17) Both companys inflate their number of
channels by adding shopping, music, gospel,
information, etc channels. Out of 200 channels
on DirecTV I have selected 48 that I care to have
to choose from.
18) Overview: I used Dish Network for about a
month, then I switched to DirecTV and have been
using it for about a month. Aside from anything I
have said prior, DirecTV has the best viewing
experience. Better remote control programming
options and easy to understand, more channels you
want to watch (not garbage channels)
for the same price and no viewing interruption,
excellent customer support, prompt billing with
no additional surprises. It also has free local
channels, but I can go on and on about how much
better DirecTV is than Dish Network. Hope this
has been helpful.
19) My Advice: Call DirecTV on the telephone and
talk with someone. Dont sign up for a service
online. That may lead to problems like I had.