American Airlines Complaint - Trip From Hell
CHICAGO, IOWA -- 1. My boyfriend and I were flying from Des Moines to Chicago to San Jose in May to go to my graduation. Our plane leaving Des Moines was delayed but the attendant put into our profile that we would be slightly late, but we would make our connecting flight in O'Hare.
2. We did make our connecting flight. We ran through the airport from one end to the other (you always arrive a mile from your connecting gate!) and arrived 8 minutes before taking off. The attendant there informed us that since we had not checked in (how are you supposed to do this on a connecting flight? I never have before.) our seats had been given away.
3. All of the attendants were extremely rude to us, informing us that WE were in the wrong because we missed our flight, and they all did this trick where they turn their name badge around so you can't see anyone's names. Finally we got on standby for a flight leaving shortly thereafter.
4. We were 2 and 3 in line for this flight and we didn't make it on. We didn't make it on because the attendant held the plane an extra 15 minutes for passengers who were late arriving. She would see them running and would keep holding the plane. I believe this is standard practice. When we didn't make it on, the attendant informed us that they couldn't help us anymore. This did not sit well with me because it was getting late in the evening (7 pm) and there weren't many planes to leave later. We had the terminal manager called over and he was as rude as the attendants. Eventually we talked them into at least getting us to Denver that night. We were rushed onto that plane and told, "They'll be able to help you when you get there."
4. We arrive in Denver at 10 pm to a deserted airport. There was only one man left who was checking luggage and he was nice enough to look into what we could do. He told us to come back early in the morning and they would get us to San Jose.
5. My boyfriend has relatives in Denver, so we rented a car. The first one died before leaving the parking lot. Long story short, we ended up sleeping in the car because no relatives were home.
6. The next morning we arrived at the airport at 6:30 am and the attendant looked up our profiles and saw that we had no records, they had no idea why we were in Denver or anything. After much finagling she got us on a plane to LA and then on to San Francisco.
7. In LA we were once again bumped from the flight and told that they have no record of us again. We managed to get on standby and then on the plane.
8. We managed to make it to San Francisco, not San Jose, 24 hours late.
This was the most horrendous travel experience I've ever had and I've traveled extensively throughout the U.S. and Europe. I'll never be traveling American again. The service was horrible, and being blamed for missing a flight we were on time for is ridiculous.