FTC Complaint - Theft of my children's social security number's

Review by mscoco on 2008-02-23
THE WHOLE UNITED STATES -- I found out that I was a victim of identity theft in the middle of 2007. I called and made a report to the FTC and I informed them at that time that mine and my children's number's were stolen. They informed me that I could only report my own theft, that is ignorant I stated who will file for them. If not me the parent then who. I can't remember what the response was, but I can remember that I was so appalled that the only thing I could do was hang up. I know that when I called a few years before social security office put a flag on me and my kids number's. It's all just a scam the FTC will watch you #'s for a fee. With people working in places with easy access to your information no one is safe. And the FTC is not doing anything about it... They don't care but I bet if someone got a hold of their children's #'s they would change the rule for them. All of this is a scam. If this is what it means to have freedom and a govenrment to stand behind you and yet hire employees that will and can steal your information then I we all need to be very,very,very afraid. Then they have a so called complaint site where you can't even make your complaints or comments. It's just there to look pretty.

This agency is just as fake as the people that are hired at the DOT to protect your information. The government doesn't care about anybody but self you can tell this from our current president. Someone has claimed my children on their taxes. And we need all our money. A po' single mother of two kids who was planning to buy a car this year with income taxes. Money that I probably will never receive thanks to the sorry non-caring, not giving a f_ _ k attitude of the FTC.
Comments:3 Replies - Latest reply on 2008-02-24
Posted by Principissa on 2008-02-23:
I think you need to hire an attorney.
Posted by steve101 on 2008-02-23:
How is this poor woman going to pay for an attorney?
Here are the things you need to do ASAP.
1.File a police report
2.Place a fraud alert on you credit files. You can do this by phone. There is also a way to do this for your children but you will have to get instructions from the credit agencies
3. Call Social Security and report the theft.
4. Call IRS and report the theft. They will investigate and you will
get your refund.
ID theft is a terrible crime and unfortunately you will have to be proactive and not rely on the FTC for help. Good luck.
Posted by N. on 2008-02-24:
Fraud alerts are easy to place. Can be done in one phone call. You can try to file a police report, but if you live in the same county I do, it will do you no good. You cannot get a copy of the report. Only a summary which is useless. You absolutely should claim your children on your income tax returns. If they question that, it should be easy to prove. We learned from Social Security that someone on the east coast was using our son's number. They said until that person tries to collect any refund there is nothing that they could do.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.