Metro Taxi Co Complaint - Payment Of Deposits For Security Deposits

Review by ardell on 2008-07-02
ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA -- We paid $5.00 a day when driving for this company, and was supposed to get it back if the when we left the company, but the company went out of business, they told no one about it. Went to work one morning and the pace was locked up, so had to find other employment, They were supposed to give our deposit back that we paid in every day that we drove. Went in to ask for it back, and they kept saying it would be paid the next Friday, but hasn't been paid yet.

We paid every day to drive, plus the $5.00 deposit. They keep putting it off, there are 5 of us that they owe, but they will not pay up. The taxi! went out of business, now they are having elite transportation run the taxi service and charge a flat rate, we think this is not legal.

What are our options to recover the money that is owed us? I know that mine is $500.00, don't know about the rest of the drivers. They also run a towing company called all Safe Towing.

We need some advice on this, we could take it to the small claims court, but it costs to file and we not have the money to file the papers. So now what do we do?
Comments:5 Replies - Latest reply on 2008-07-02
Posted by Anonymous on 2008-07-02:
There are lots of pro bono lawyers would might take your case if they feel they can win plus get a nice amount of damages.
Posted by Anonymous on 2008-07-02:
I think PB means 'contingency' lawyers. Pro bono means that they do it for free.
Posted by Anonymous on 2008-07-02:
It all depends on how they went out of business. If the company declared bankruptcy then you need to file your claim with the bankruptcy trustee that was appointed by the courts. You should be able to find this out as it is required to be published in your local paper as well as your local courthouse, then wait until the assests are liquadated and the funds divided up. If the company simply closed the doors then you need to file a small claims suit for the return of your money. Filing fees usually run about $25 - $35 depending on the jurisdiction. I don't really think that this requires an attorney as much of this can be handled easily enough on your own. If your truly uncertain you usually can get some help through your states legal aide
Posted by MRM on 2008-07-02:
Dealerdirect, long time, no see! Excellent advice as always!
Posted by Slimjim on 2008-07-02:
I was thinking the same thing as Dealer, filing fees for small claims are far less than I think you realize. The thing is though, if the company is out of business and officially inactive, there is no one to sue. You can't sue a former owner and puncture the corporate vail without a tremendous amount of wrongdoing proof. Nothing that can be done in small claims or worth it for $500. Sorry, but I doubt you all will be able to retrieve anything.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.