Vonage Complaint - How Do They Stay In Business?
Resolution Update on 08/08/2008:
Successfully Canceled. I haven't been billed(so far). Still keeping an eye on the credit card bill.
OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA -- On Friday, July 11th 2008 around 4:15 PM I called Vonage for more information about their service. They said they can get me 2 months free and free activation. They also told me that I could keep my same phone number. I said I need to think about it for the night. She said that the extra month deal is only available to random callers. But, she said she can lock in the promotion. She told me that I could think about it and she would call me the next day. I said great and gave her my name and phone number. She said that she would call me at the same time the next day.
On Saturday, July 11th I waited patiently by the phone and never received a phone call. At around 6:30 PM I decided to call them and explain the situation. I gave them my name and phone number and they said it looks like they were going to offer you 2 months free. I said yes, that is correct. She said, OK I can give you that deal. I decided to get the V-Portal for only $20 with shipping because of the extra features. She had a thick accent. I told her my name about 100 times and she of course got it wrong. I called them back immediately and they apologized and corrected the name.
On Sunday, July 12th I received an e-mail that said in order to continue to port my number I would have to drop DSL from my phone line. I decided on AT&T stand alone DSL, also known as AT&T direct DSL for only $4 more then I am paying now.
On Monday, July 13th I called AT&T to switch my internet to stand alone, but they warned me if I did that Vonage would no longer be able to port my number because the line would be inactive. They also told me that I would not be able to keep my current number. I was on the phone bouncing back and fourth to AT&T and Vonage for 5 hours. Vonage told me to tell AT&T to separate the DSL line and the Landline. I called AT&T and told them that and they said the only option I have would be to cancel my DSL and after the number was ported call AT&T back and ask them for Stand Alone DSL. This means I would have no internet and phone for 5 days. I then figured it is not even worth it. I called Vonage up and said I want to cancel my service. I also said that I have not received an e-mail yet saying my box has shipped out. They said that I would have to wait for the box to come and then return it. I said "Who is going to pay for shipping to return it." They said "You." I said you never told me that my internet/phone would be down for 5 days. I asked for a supervisor and they said no "I am a pro at this." Then she hung up on me. I called them back and was placed on hold for 20 minutes and they said when UPS comes to deliver the box, just refuse delivery to avoid paying to ship it back. Then, she said to call them back to freeze the account after you reject the delivery. Hopefully, they do not charge me to cancel it. I am going to keep a close eye on my credit card bill.
Vonage may look good from their advertisements, but when you have to deal with their customer service. It is not even worth it.
UPDATE:Monday, July 21st
I got a call from Vonage today about 20 minutes after I rejected my package from UPS. The guy I spoke to was American and he wanted to know if my box was working correctly. I told him I am canceling service. He was actually a really nice guy. He said that AT&T pulls this kind of stuff all the time. We talked for about 5 minutes how AT&T wont let you switch. I am not really blaming Vonage now, I am blaming AT&T. I just hope I get my $20 back.