Vallejo Police Department Informative - My daughter was hit by a woman driving an automobile while she was in a crosswalk

Review by Shackford on 2008-11-05
VALLEJO, CALIFORNIA -- The police came and asked her if she was OK. She is developmentally disabled and was extremely upset and has a difficult time expressing herself, so she said she was able to walk the couple of blocks to her managed care home.

The police did make a note of the incident, but failed to make out a police report. Well, after she got home she complained of a very sore leg and the manager of the home called us. We immediately rushed her to the hospital and the X-rayed her leg finding she had walked home on a broken leg.

Can you give us some help in locating the person who hit her and find out if the Vallejo police can have the two officers who responded to the accident explain why no citation was given and no report filed?

Thank you for your Help.


John Allen and Lee Matthews *Parents of Naomi Matthews
Comments:6 Replies - Latest reply on 2009-01-28
Posted by madconsumer on 2008-11-05:
try contacting a local lawyer. they can try to make contact with the police department and find out the facts.
Posted by Anonymous on 2008-11-05:
A lawyer is not necessary unless you find the person who hit your daughter. Also, the administrators of this site will not contact law enforcement for you. You should be doing that on your own.

Police officers no longer take incident reports as standard practice if everyone appears to be okay. If your daughter appeared to be okay then the police would not make a report. If it is obvious that she is developmentally disabled and needs assistance why was she walking alone? If she told them that she was okay when she was actually in pain, that would indicate to me that she should have a caretaker with her when she is walking out in public.

Now, why haven't you contacted the police department yourself? The dispatchers can check the call records and will be able to tell you who responded to the call. If there is CCTV installed at the intersection where your child was hit, or if cameras are used by any local businesses law enforcement can ask for the tapes to see if they can identify the person who hit your daughter.
Posted by jktshff1 on 2008-11-06:
Sorry about your daughter and I hope she will be ok. But I agree with John.
Posted by yoke on 2008-11-06:
The police should have made some type of report since the person who hit here should have gotten a ticket for not yeilding the right away to a pedistrian in a crosswalk.
Posted by Anonymous on 2008-11-06:
Thankfully she is OK and only suffered a broken leg. Have you contacted the police dept and updated them? What information did they put on the incident report, do you know?
Posted by Shackford on 2009-01-28:
Thank All for your commits,

We will notify the police that she was injured. She is not to the degree of disability that walking alone around her block each day is dangerous, assuming that people normally stop for pedestriaqns in croswswalks, any of us might have been run over by this person who ran thwe stop sign and was not attentive to someone crossing the street.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.