Sony Style Complaint - Amateurish, Possibly Criminal Customer Service
Sony used to be such a great company, what happened? How do I even begin to tell this CS nightmare story?
1. Parts of the Web site take 30 seconds to load. Not a very good first impression for a technology company.
2. The estimated ship date for my laptop was shown as the 20th while ordering, but shown as the 13th on my sales confirmation.
3. Two days after ordering, I received an e-mail stating my order had been cancelled because "Product not as expected." Huh?
4. The office hours for customer service on my cancellation notice were 5 am to 9 pm PST: I called at 7 pm but it said they were closed.
5. Later on while I was out, a CS representative left me a voice message with his name, number, and extension. Nice right? But when I called the number he gave, the automated system didn't give me an option to enter an extension, so I got a random person who told me to call a different number.
6. Called the different number and waited for another representative (Total time spent on hold so far, 40 minutes.) I asked why my order was cancelled, and she said: "Your credit card was rejected, uh, no wait it was something else....(pause)....Oh, it says that 'product was not as expected.' "What does that mean?" I dared to ask. "I don't know" was the helpful response.
7. The sales representative reentered my order for me. OK, at least we're making progress. Then she offered me a "special:" If I ordered an extra accessory, I could get the 3-year extended service warranty for free. I needed an extra mouse anyway, so I accepted. BUT, when my confirmation e-mail arrived a few minutes later, it included a $180 charge for the warranty that was promised to me for free!
I called CS again (waited on hold 30 minutes) and asked a new representative what was going on. He said HE HAD NEVER HEARD OF ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY SPECIAL. So am I to conclude that the first sales representative deliberately tried to rip me off??
I just hope I actually get my laptop, the VAIO is supposed to be a good one...