Tivo Complaint - Disagree with Tivo/Philips Replacement Policy
HOUSTON, TEXAS -- We are writing to you regarding the TiVo / Philips replacement policy with which we have several items of concern.
We have been TiVo customers since Jan. 2nd, 2001 after a wave of excitement swept through our neighborhood during Christmas as the ensuing weeks. As a result, we have been loyal TiVo advocates among a dozen or so of our neighbors and work colleagues. Along with our friends, we immediately joined the TiVo forum so we could be part of a community and continue to share our excitement. We have participated in the early releases of the new software, which was fantastic.
A few days ago, Saturday, May 26th, 2001, our TiVo began having problems. It restarted several times on its own during the day for no apparent reason and then finally that evening, it restarted for the last time only to get stuck on the starting up screen. This screen displays a message like ‘TiVo is starting up, please wait a few moments.’ After a number of attempts to power down the unit and restart it, including leaving it unplugged over night, our TiVo still continued to fail to successfully startup.
This afternoon, we called your service center to begin the process of replacing our TiVo. We spoke with two members of you staff, Chris and Shannon. Both of them described our only course of action which is to send the TiVo to Philips along with $99.00 plus 1 way of shipping to have the TiVo replaced. Chris and Shannon were very professional and explained the policies regarding the exchange. However, we’re sure that they were frustrated, because after a combined 1 hour and 40 minute phone call, they were still left with a dissatisfied customer. The fact that we are dissatisfied was completely beyond their control which could only add to their own level of dissatisfaction.
Shannon was quite helpful in providing the detail information regarding individuals that we could contact to further voice our issues.
We know that when we purchased the TiVo that it only had a 90-day warranty, however, our issues are these:
1. After paying $600 ($400 for TiVo and $200 for lifetime service), a high quality, high priced electronic product should be expected to last longer than 148 days. We find it quite absurd that a high-tech industry leading company will not stand behind a product longer than 90 days.
2. To replace our TiVo, we have to pay an additional $99.00 bringing our total investment to $700.00
3. The replacement TiVo will only have a 30 day warranty. This, we also find absurd.
These issues cause us to ask a number of questions?
1. Do TiVo and/or Philips have such little confidence in their products to only warranty the product for 90 and then 30 days? A differentiating trait of industry leading companies is to take a strong stand behind the quality of their products. For example, consider Dell Computer Co.’s one year, next business day on site service that includes all labor and parts. Dell’s warranty is free of charge.
2. Do we need to consider choosing a competitors product like a Sony Microsoft UltimateTV? This is certainly something we will discuss with our friends, colleagues and the TiVo community.
3. Will the replacement TiVo we receive be new or refurbished?
We hope you will consider our questions and concerns as you review our case. We are customers in what is becoming a highly competitive market and believe that our voice needs to be heard. The bottom line is that, TiVo and Philips should take an industry-leading stance behind their products and not just follow the lead of what consumers allow companies to get away with. The idea that expensive, high-tech electronics are only warranted for 90 days is something that we have a difficult time understanding.
We truly believe in TiVo as a company and desire it to be the leader in this market as well as a company that can stand up with the elite. Please do not begin sacrificing you loyal customer base.
To help keep me as a potential future customer, we would like the following:
Replace our TiVo with a brand new unit and provide a 1 year full replacement warranty. If that is not possible, please consider any alternatives that might help retain us and our friends as future customers of your company.
We look forward to a prompt resolution that we find satisfactory so that we can continue to be loyal TiVo advocates.
At the very least we would like a response from your company regarding this incident.