Motel 6 Complaint - Decrepit Motel, The Money Saved Wasn't Worth Making Somebody Ill
PALM BEACH, FLORIDA -- On February 23rd, the CEO of the company I am employed for and my tech supervisor went to Palm Beach for business purposes. While they were there, the tech supervisor called stating that they needed a hotel for the night, preferably for $50 or under.
The cheapest rate that was available in the area for that night was $79, at Motel 6 #688, and my other supervisor booked the room, a non-smoking room with two twin-beds, to be paid on the company credit card.
On Wednesday, when I went back to work, my tech supervisor came in late, and significantly ill. He had a severe respiratory illness and could barely speak. I asked the CEO about the their time in Palm Beach. Since I wasn't there, I can only take his word for it, but based on the other reviews here I will assume them as fact.
Their time in Palm Beach went well, except for the motel stay. According to him, the air was very musty and the heater wasn't working, the room was very dirty, and there were several leaks in the ceiling. He also noticed that there was a mold by the windows. He told me that he asked to stay in another room, but the motel staff refused it.
In the morning, they woke up to the arrival of police cars. The exact reason they were there was unknown.
Later on in the day, my tech supervisor told me that he started feeling sick very shortly after they checked out, and it obviously had to be from the motel.
The money that was saved by choosing Motel 6 was definitely not worth the horrible experience they had to go through, it would have been worth spending double for them to have a comfortable stay.