AirTran Airways Complaint - Letter to AirTran Airways
To Customer Service/Complaint Department,
My daughter and I flew on AirTran Flight 105 from Dallas to Atlanta, then Flight 78 from Atlanta to Washington DC on July 12, 2009 at 5:30AM. When I arrived in DC, my baggage did not. Here is a list of my complaints in order.
1. I had to pay for my bags, which I was unaware I had to do until I got to the airport. I haven’t flown in 3 years. According to your website and what was posted at the airport I should have paid $15 for my daughters bag and $39 for mine. ( My bag was oversize). I was charged $69. Your website does not state that I would have to pay two charges. The $15 was added to $39. It states oversize bag charge is $39 not $54.
2. At the DC airport baggage office the lady took my information along with about 10 other people whose bags did not make it on the plane change in Atlanta. She stated the bags should arrive on the 5:30PM flight. I stated we had to drive 2 hours to my sisters house where we were staying. She asked for the address and phone number contacts and said several times the bags would be delivered even after I reminded her we were in Georgetown, Delaware ( 2 hours away). She told me to call back after 5:30 to check on my bags.
3. I called at 5:45 PM and spoke to a new agent who said my bags were there but when he read the address back to me to verify he said “Delaware! We can't deliver there! That’s too far!” Now why didn’t the first agent say they would not deliver. We could have stayed in DC and returned at 5:30 PM. It would have been an inconvenience but that would have been better than not having my bags until Tuesday at 4:00PM. I had medication that I needed and my daughter needed her retainer. We had to go buy clothes for 2 days.
4. Over the next 3 hours I spoke to several baggage agents and I even offered to drive an HOUR toward the airport to the outskirts of DC. And meet someone to get my bags but no one would help except to say, our bags would be sent FedEx and would arrive on Tuesday. I can't possibly tell you how mad and disappointed I was with AirTrans service and customer service. First vacation and first time to visit my sick mom in 3 years. All of the inconvenience and loss of medication and money spent and time spent talking to inconsiderate and sometimes rude agents has turned me against AirTran.
5. One more thing, since I am an honest person. I arrived late at DFW because of my job. (I work at night). Because the plane was already boarding the check/in person stated if I wanted my bag at all (her words) I would have to sign a waiver saying I would not hold AirTran responsible WE CAN’T GUARANTEE YOUR BAGS WILL MAKE IN ON THE PLANE IN DALLAS (again her words). Our bags made it on the plane in Dallas, it just didn’t make it from the Dallas flight to the DC flight in Atlanta, not because of me but because AirTran arrived late in Atlanta so YOUR PEOPLE didn’t get my bags (plus the other peoples) transferred. Even though the fault was yours, your agent threw the waiver in my face several times - now you can say what you want but the waiver should only have applied to our bags getting on the plane in DALLAS. That’s what I was told I was signing it for. (Because I was late at Dallas) not if you lost or mishandled my luggage somewhere along the way. This is just a corporation loophole for your mistake but then shifting the blame to the customer. This was all handled wrong and in most cases by inconsiderate and often rude people that only wanted me to just go away. Just another reason why I now DESPISE AIRTRAN.
Based on my experience with uncaring and uninterested and mostly rude service people at AirTran I don’t believe I will find any satisfaction in sending this letter, but I felt I had to write it anyway. I will send this to everyone I can at AirTran.