All used parts Complaint - All Used Parts BIG TIME CHEATERS

Review by bettypulaski on 2009-08-28
10308 SE HWY 441, FLORIDA -- All Used Parts 10308 SE Hwy 441 Belleview, FL 34420 Web site www.usedcarandtruckparts.net
This company is bunch of liers. They would not take my Cr. Card for a pmt. they wanted money order which they cashed but never sent me my transmission. They don't even want to talk to me any more to tell me where my part or my money is. Please think twice before you order something from them.
Comments:22 Replies - Latest reply on 2009-08-31
Posted by Anonymous on 2009-08-28:
When a company doesn't take a credit card for payment but insists on a money order or western union transfer, THEY'RE SETTING YOU UP TO GET RIPPED OFF! Wake up People!
Posted by Skye on 2009-08-28:
Well at least now the OP has learned something new. There is always someone out there to scam someone.

Asking for payment upfront before delivering the items should of been a clue.

Live and learn. OP, I hope you didn't loose too much money, but you said they didn't send you your transmission, so I'm sure it was a large amount.

Contact your states Attorney General. Thanks for the review.
Posted by madconsumer on 2009-08-28:
money orders are disputable too.
Posted by Skye on 2009-08-28:
Good to know mc. I didn't know that. I don't use money orders, but its still good to know.
Posted by madconsumer on 2009-08-28:
money orders are just like checks. once cashed, they can be disputed.
Posted by Skye on 2009-08-28:
OP, tell them you want the tracking number or proof of delivery, so you can prove to them you never got it. Don't just blow this off as a lesson learned.


Good luck!
Posted by Skye on 2009-08-28:
Mad, who do you dispute the money order with?? The place you purchased it from??
Posted by madconsumer on 2009-08-28:
on the money order stub, there will be a telephone number to call. generally it is automated, but one can transfer to a human if required.
Posted by Skye on 2009-08-28:
Thanks! OP, I really hope you are reading everyone's suggestions about what steps to take.

Again, good luck!
Posted by bettypulaski on 2009-08-29:
You can't dispute money orders.
Posted by BokiBean on 2009-08-29:
betty, if you have proof of payment, you might consider small claims court. You have proof of payment, they need proof of delivery.
Posted by madconsumer on 2009-08-29:
chex mix correct, once it has been cashed, one can file a claim with the money order issuers bank.
Posted by BokiBean on 2009-08-29:
Try sending a money order to Nigeria, then dispute it. Lemme know how that works out for you.
Posted by madconsumer on 2009-08-29:
where and why did nigeria come into this?? this company is in florida.

IF one has to send to an international locale, one must use an international money order. usps money orders are NOT international, but walmarts are.
Posted by BokiBean on 2009-08-29:
How did USPS money orders get into this. The OP never stated which money order service she used. You can't give generic advice if you don't know WHICH money order company she was using.

For instance, most order companies allow you to trace them..but will not entertain a refund UNLESS the money order was never cashed. In other words, they will issue a replacement, but not get involved in a "dispute".

Posted by madconsumer on 2009-08-29:
go troll someone who cares ....

from the posters review:

"they wanted money order which they cashed but never sent me my transmission."

then stated, money orders are disputable.
Posted by BokiBean on 2009-08-29:
Like I said...good luck with that. Its a civil matter now. Which is why I recommended small claims court.

You think these money order companies get involved in who paid what and who delivered what?

Posted by Slimjim on 2009-08-29:
Money orders and cashiers checks are disputable. In fact, the safest form of payment to take is a personal check, as long as you make sure it clears before releasing your goods. It has no reversibility, where as money orders are tough, but in cases can be pulled back. Poster should follow Mad's advise here and see if something can be done.
Posted by bettypulaski on 2009-08-29:
Posted by Anonymous on 2009-08-29:
bokibean, "........ ......... ........ ......... ....... ...... ......... ....... ..... ....!"

*wink wink*
Posted by BokiBean on 2009-08-29:
Hahaha! Well said!! Helpful too! :D
Posted by Sam19 on 2009-08-31:
This is Sam19. Yes I have gone through same thing. http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=61028. I opened the case with BBB of central florida.
BBB of Central Florida, Inc. 1600 S. Grant St. Longwood, FL 32750
Complaint Tracking Number: 707E2-9EE47-5546A-F9B49-55580-
F67B7-50. You can refer to them my case number too.
Also another thing I have done is opened the case with Division of Consumer Services in FL. My complaint number is 51597. Their phone number is 1-800-435-7352. Their website is http://www.800helpfla.com/complnt.html You can refer my complaint number too.
Good luck.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.