Many problems with my Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer set
I bought my Whirlpool washer and dryer set in 2007. I've had many issues with it:
1. Within the first three months, we had a repair man out to the house three times because water kept letting loose out of the washer and flooding our floor. The problem was a bad seal. Mind you, three trips does not mean the seal actually went bad three times. The first time, the technician cleaned some items out of the trap and said it was my own fault the washer leaked because I was not checking pockets closely enough. The second time he came, he had the wrong part. Third time, he fixed it and I've not had the problem since.
2. I've also had a repair man out twice to find out why sometimes, when I start laundry, the fabric softener lets loose with the soap as the washer is filling. He told me I "overfill" the fabric softener cup and there was nothing he could do. I fill the cup below the line and I don't feel this should be happening.
3. The washer periodically "freezes" up and I have to pull the unit out (there is a dryer on top) and unplug it to reset it, plug it back in, and wrestle the unit back in.
4. For the first few months I owned the units, I could not figure out why I would find the dryer full of wet clothes, light on, with the door closed. Why wasn't it running? It turns out there is one door clamp at the 11:00 position that has to be specifically pushed on HARD to lock. The weight of the clothes against the door and the door not clicking shut all the way was resulting in the door being pushed open just enough to shut the dryer down and turn the light on inside. I now give the door one extra "bop" at that 11:00 spot and make sure I hear the "click" before I start the dryer.
5. My clothes are always a twisted mess at the end of the wash cycle. I have to untangle all of the pants before drying. I've lost two delicate shirts, washed on the DELICATE cycle to tangling and twisting.
6. There is a grey gasket between the door and the washer well. I have a gap of about half an inch between the two. I frequently find it full of socks, which are soaked with the fabric softener that was supposed to go into the load.
7. I don't think the detergent cups are well designed. The little one way to the back for bleach is a problem for me. It's hard to get to with a full bottle of bleach.
8. About half of the lint in a dryer load goes to the lint trap. The rest blows out the dryer vent and is in my flower garden in front of my house.
9. My clean laundry comes out of the dryer smelling like mildew. Since the day we got the washer / dryer set, my husband has complained that his clean towels stink.
Overall, my husband and I have been very unhappy with the quality of the units, considering they were at least $800 each. Our laundry area is designed for stackables only and we have 8 kids, so we needed something sturdy with a large capacity. Is front loading technology new and problematic? Or is it just Whirlpool?
More Reviews on Whirlpool: