Best Western Hotels International, Inc. Complaint - A very bad night - Best Western, Toronto Airport West
TORONTO -- We had many problems at this hotel!
We were scheduled to spend two nights on the return portion of our trip and cancelled our reservation because we were so dissatisfied with this first night.
We should have demanded our money back and moved on to another hotel, however, we know nothing of Toronto and that would have been a huge inconvenience.
1) Another guest was given a key to our room -- Imagine our surprise to have someone walk right in!
Front desk staff were not even slightly concerned about this.
My child suffers from anxiety, and did not sleep at all that night (so then, none of us did) because she was terrified that someone else would come into our room during the night.
This was totally unacceptable!
2) I had called ahead regarding use of debit card as a method of payment.
Nothing was mentioned until we arrived about the additional $60 deposit.
This was an annoyance but we paid without complaint.
This may seem insignificant or something that a seasoned traveller would know, but I think it should be made clear as not everyone will know this.
3) Then I tried to make a collect phone call and couldn't dial out.
When I inquired at the desk they told me that I couldn't make any calls if I was paying by debit. This was not mentioned at the point of reservation or check in and definitely should have been.
I wound up having the debit refunded and switching to Visa.
Again, if this is standard policy, then guests should be made aware of the limitations that their method of payment presents -- what is the point of the $60 deposit when the money was in the bank before I set foot in my room?
4) Shuttle service was very poor.
When I made the reservation I was told that a shuttle from the airport to the hotel ran every 10 minutes. We waited 55 for the van to arrive.
Then the driver chose to cater to other passengers and we actually had to drive right past our hotel so that they could be dropped off first!
She also said to allow an extra hour and a half in the morning for service because things are busy. Choosing this hotel was based on close and quick transportation to and from the airport as we were travelling with a child.
When you make a reservation based on "shuttle service every 10 minutes" then you should be justified in expecting that.
Our driver the second day made the ride a knuckle biter -- he sped, swerved, and all of the passengers were jostled in the back -- it was a relief to get out and to get there in one piece.
5)I was told at reservation that the rooms had high speed internet access -- at check in I asked about hooking up my laptop and was told that there was no internet service in the rooms.
There was a machine in the lobby but it didn't work (staff should have put a sign on it -- instead they watched people try to make it work by putting their money in).
Frustrated, I went down to the desk again later and asked about dial up service - a different clerk told me to use the lamp jack in the room.
This jack didn't work -- I discovered in the morning that you would have to move the lamp over by the phone for a cord to be plugged in -- I assumed that if I was told to plug into the lamp that it should be hooked up and ready to go.
I did end up plugging into the phone and getting on line eventually that way. For my quick stints online I incurred large phone call charges on my room bill. I could have used several hours on the machine downstairs (had it been working) for the same amount that I was charged to use dial up in the room.
6) The overall smell of the hotel was really quite awful. All three of us were stuffed up and spent much of the night sneezing and coughing. At least the rooms didn't smell quite as bad as the lobby and hallways!
7) I had to make four trips to the front desk to get my key re-activated.
8) I spent a lot of time down at the front desk -- based on the treatment of my concerns as well as what I saw happening with other guests, I came away with a clear impression that providing sub-standard service was just the way things went. Staff really didn't seem at all concerned by anyone else's concerns and complaints. They even made comments about other guests in front of those waiting at the desk.
Based on this experience I would never consider staying in this particular hotel again.
Although all BW hotels are independently owned and operated, it is true that one bad apple spoils the barrel. It reflects badly enough that I also wouldn't consider staying with Best Western again unless it was a last resort.
We were travelling to the U.S. for our daughter to receive specialized medical care. This was the first night of our journey, and thank God the rest of it wasn't as bad as the beginning.