DirecTV Inc Complaint - Deceptive advertising
I responded to an ad in my local newspaper for direct TV installation. The ad stated that for a HD DVR package, the cost would be $39.99 a month until 2011, and that that would be a $26 a month savings. The ad also stated free installation.
I called their 1-800 number to order this service. The guy who helped me with the order failed to tell me a number of things:
The surprises were:
1. The $26 a month savings advertised required me to complete a rebate request. And if that was to be done by mail, the reduction would be only be $21 a month. Further, if the rebate request was not received by them, before installation, it would take 6-8 wks before the savings would be backed off, and then, only off my later bills. I was told they would not make retroactive adjustments to the prior bills.
2. While they advertised a free HD DVR receiver, that did not include the HD service. That was an additional $10 a month.
3. While they advertised free installation. That did not include a $19.95 Delivery and Handling fee.
4. I was not advised that their 'On demand' service, which provides for free movies, requires the use of a network adapter communicating with a host pc.
5. I had ordered an additional hi-def receiver (no DVR) at a cost of $99. They are charging me an additonal $5 a month to use my purchased receiver.