State of Michigan Complaint - Question on ethics/ opinions wanted

Review by Anonymous on 2004-09-04
LANSING, MICHIGAN -- I have a son, the biological father has never seen him, He's almost 27 months old, never inquired, the court has letters written to me, that states exactly how he feels about my son, not something I would ever want him to see.....................................
The "Father" got behind in child support, I saw an attorney I was told it would cost to much on my income to apply for foodstamps, they would help enforce child support. I did.

The phone is not listed in my name, I don't use this address for my personal mail, no one has it, I use a PO Box. Friend of the court would not give this address out.

OUt of the blue, I received a call from the fathers new wife. She works for social services in another town (same state) also works for protective services Explaing how concerned she was for for "Our" son. She said she got the phone number through information, yet, it's not listed in my name, then turned around and said "you don't sound like the typical welfare mother. Bingo, I caim to a conclusion on how she got my personal information, when I applied for foodstamps. Letters were written, how she would encourage me to marry and have the fathers rights terminated "You may have other children, you may not" these came from a state of michigan email address. I made a few calls, then the father calls my mother, saying if I didn't allow my mother to adopt my son, he would go for custody. Because of my violence.....Never been violent in my life, but seeing who the new wife works for... I never know what's going to happen next, my life is clean as a whistle, nevertheless, it scares me, what she could do with her position.

Any ideas? I was told the state looked into it, but no one got back to me. To me, it seems like this would be illegal.
Comments:3 Replies - Latest reply on 2004-09-09
Posted by NeveragainAmazon on 2004-09-03:
You did state that you have an attorney...Bring the letter you have just composed to him/her, and the copied e-mails from the state along with the other letter/s from the dad! good luck!
Posted by Anonymous on 2004-09-03:
I have been in a simular situation, I have a beautiful baby girl, very close. I also live in MI. I wouldn't sweat it too much if I were you, (I know easier said than done when it come to a child) I believe we could be dealing with issues of money, if their urging you remarry have his rights terminated wanting your mother to adopt your child, why didn't he call you directly? If he has never seen him, no contact, He has a snow balls chance in hell, there are guidelines for custody on the net, free of charge, look them up, if he has never seen your son.
Save all contact, log calls. Contact the agency directly, I do believe there are laws on this, if not there should be;-)
On the other hand, I would be concerned to the access of information she has, her job title alone with the furth accusations...DOCUMENT. Best of luck. Oops, almost signed my name there;-)
Posted by Anonymous on 2004-09-09:
Hmm, would this be covered under HIPPA? Keep a paper trail. I know if a law enforement official uses his position for personal soliticiation it's a felony (getting information on a subject through computer). If it's not illegal, it should be.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.