Kentucky Fried Chicken Informative - KFC don't care - Holiday variety bucket
NORTH CHICAGO, ILLINOIS -- We purchased a holiday variety 12 piece bucket with coleslaw and beans. This takeaway was for myself, my husband and our friend.
Our friend and myself had 1 1/2 pieces of chicken, but my husband had more. We ate this takeaway at 5.30 and about 7.30 I was vomitting and so was our friend.
We vomitted every two hours or so until 2am. My husband was fine while we were being ill, but he started vomitting at 4am until 11am.
This all happened on a Sunday night/Monday morning. So both our friend and my husband did not go to work as they felt so drained and sore. I do not work but felt the same.
I emailed the KFC head office to report this food poisoning as I could not get through the branch we had purchased this takeaway from.
As I did not hear from KFC, I then phoned the number given on their website - this was after trying the local branch. They said that they had not been in touch as I did not give them a telephone number. I had given them my email address, but not phone number as I intended to be away.
So I gave them my husband's mobile number and they promised to be in touch soon. No phone call, but an email saying they will be in touch to discuss.
This food poisoning took place on the 10th January and my communication started three days later and lasted about a week. We are now going into February.
I think it is appalling that a company this size can take food poisoning so lightly bearing in mind that food is their business. They are happy to take my money but not explain to me how they managed to poison me.
I replied to their email mentioned above asking when they intended to speak to me and have not received a reply.
I have a strong stomache and have only been sick once in the last 10 years so you can see how bad this chicken must have been.
I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER KFC MEAL, AS THE THOUGHT MAKES ME SICK AND IF I SEE THEIR ADVERTS ON TV, I HAVE TO SHUT MY EYES.