General Electric Company Complaint - GE Monogram Cooktrops are Fire Hazard
GE MONOGRAM Gas Cooktops with electrical ignition systems are a major fire hazard. I accidentally spilled some coffee on my 3 year-old Monogram cooktop and the ignition system went haywire. Smoke started to come out of the burner knobs and I smelled an electrical fire starting. If I had not quickly crawled under the counter and unplugged the unit, I would have had a fire in my house.
This is a serious design flaw in GE MONOGRAM stove tops and a consumer danger. When I called Patricia in customer service, her reply was, “you should not have spilled anything on the unit!” Not our fault, says GE, that you almost caused a fire! On top of it all, GE now wants $342 to repair the unit (it only originally cost $850). Since there is a strong probability that I will eventually spill something else at some point in the future, I am replacing the unit with a more reliable, reputable and SAFER brand!