My child's name was spelled wrong on my taxes

Review by Talk360 on 2010-02-17
WICHITA, KANSAS -- The people who did my taxes this year told me that it did not matter if my sons name was spelled wrong. I got the child tax credit & they said his name was fixed, but then told me it doesn't matter if his name was wrong, it wouldn't effect my taxes. But I'm pretty sure it does. And I am not able to get a hold of any body other than this company to make sure my taxes has been sent in (by e-file) like the tax place told it had. Why are things so difficult, I know its only been 3 days I just want to make sure everything is right they have already messed up twice, & I'm skeptical of the company itself.

Anybody know about the name thing?
Comments:7 Replies - Latest reply on 2010-02-18
Posted by Anonymous on 2010-02-17:
I am a layman so take my opinion for just that. I would say it matters. The IRS is going to match the social with the name and if it doesn't match, it will get kicked back. I had the reverse happen. My tax lady inverted 2 numbers on one of the kids' social and it got kicked back a couple days later. We E-filed. If you e-filed, it may be coming back. Keep in touch with the tax people and expect it to come back.
Posted by Buddy01 on 2010-02-17:
Here is a number you can call: 800-829-1040.
Posted by Venice09 on 2010-02-17:
Maybe they actually did correct the spelling but were just trying to tell you that even if they didn't it wouldn't matter. If the mistake is just a minor typographical error, it might not be a problem as long as the social security number is correct. If your son's name appears on previous returns, perhaps they will check and realize that his name was simply misspelled this year. I think the worst that can happen is that they will contact you to verify the name. I would be more concerned with confirming that your return was actually filed since you don't seem to be sure that it was.
Posted by tnchuck100 on 2010-02-17:
It PROBABLY won't matter. Their system is SSN driven. You did not tell us how the name was mis-spelled. If it was something like Jon vs John it should not be a problem. Samuel vs William MIGHT be.
Posted by MissMae on 2010-02-17:
Besides what's already been stated, you should also consider getting a new tax preparer for your 2010 taxes. If they did correct the spelling prior to submitting, they should have given you a copy so you had that for your records. If they didn't and submitted anyway and told you it wouldn't be a problem, that's not good. It probably won't be a problem...but it could be, and it should have been important to them to make sure everything was correct. You don't mess with the IRS, trust me, even if it's not your fault.

One year I had my return double credited to my bank account. I called the IRS to inform them of their mistake...what did they do? They immediately, and I mean within minutes, froze my account, took back the double credit and didn't un-freeze my account for two whole days while they "looked into" the error. Never apologized to me or thanked me for notifying them. Can you imagine what would have happened if I had spent the money??
Posted by Talk360 on 2010-02-18:
Man the IRS really messed with you MissMae boy that's crazy indeed. The company doing the tax return misspelled my sons name missing just by forgetting to add an "A" in it. No big deal I thought but I just wanted to make sure she new the typo existed & that I did notice it, but then I realized in the column it actually had his middle name as well when it simply asked for the child's First name. So I also hope they won't mistake it as a whole nether name they shouldn't. The bad thing was I handed her his sscard for verification.(Lol) Any who, Yea next year I think I will, I have been trying to call all the numbers I have found, calling to check the status, So far no one has been able to assist me, its that or I either get a machine that eventually hangs up on me telling me to call back. We got papers copies of the tax papers we signed one thing then left, but ya know I just know looked I don't have a copy of the paper we did sign. I went to H&R BLOCK for a 2ND look they found money that the 1st tax people counted as something else so we ended up getting more back. Although we are to send the amended letter in as Son as we get the first initial tax return back. I will tell ya what being young or old these days can be aggravating middle ages think they can treat us like we are plain dumb or think elders has done lost all there marbles, and of course hardly anyone gives the young or the old a chance to be right. Thanks any feedback on this?
Posted by Anonymous on 2010-02-18:
You can try this link to check the status of your federal refund.

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.