Johnson County Special Utility District Complaint - Water Meter Rates

Review by gasoline on 2010-07-06
CLEBURNE, TEXAS -- In 1998, we bought 14 acres in Johnson County between Burleson and Joshua, planted 30-40+ pecan trees to maintain the agricultural status. We also bought an up-sized water meter from what was then the water company or entity servicing/providing the water and water meters for Johnson County. We have for 12 years now had this "paid for" meter and in June, 2010 received a water bill from Johnson County Special Utility District for $249.64! Now this bill is not for water usage beyond around $35.00 or 100 gallons of water. Upon calling said company, we were advised that we now have to pay a monthly rate for the meter that we have already bought!! Upon speaking to the supervisor/manager over this department, we have been advised that the previous company we "bought" the meter from and the now present company "merged ownership", thus there are new rates, thus we have to pay monthly for the old meter again, forever...on-going.... continuously.... because these are their new rates!! The meter purchased should be considered "grandfathered" by the purchase transaction 12 years prior. Don't you agree? Now, have you ever heard of a car dealership where you purchased a car, then the dealership merged with another dealership years down the road and the new "merged" dealership decides to only lease/rent cars and the car you bought years ago, you now have been, not notified, mind you, but billed for a monthly lease on? And an on-going lease on top of that! Can you say ridiculous? Absurd? Is there anyone else out there experiencing this same travesty? Let me hear from you or at least your opinion.
Comments:4 Replies - Latest reply on 2010-07-08
Posted by Johanna on 2010-07-06:
There's got to be some place in the county you can appeal this to.
Posted by Anonymous on 2010-07-06:
I agree there has to be some local or state politician that can help you with this issue.
Posted by Helpful on 2010-07-08:
I agree with the others on this. You've paid for it, it's yours and there shouldn't be any reason for them to charge for it now. I would think you have the right to dispute the charges, taking your documentation into arbitration.

Let us know what happens.
Posted by Pepper on 2010-07-08:
i agree ... clutzy has a good solution

i do not see why you would legally have to pay for something you already own as if you're now renting it from them.

good luck

Your Name:
(displayed with your comment)
Your E-mail:

Your Experience/Advice:
Check spelling

By clicking submit you agree that you have read and accept the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Note: All comments are reviewed by a moderator before being published. Please be sure to read our guidelines before commenting.