Bitdefender Complaint - I will never buy bitdefender again
I've used Bitdefender for 3-4 years now. In the beginning, there were no problems, but the last year or so, it is just one issue after the other and the default solution from tech support seems to be, "reinstall". I have reinstalled the software at least a dozen times. The latest issue is that it just shuts down with no warning. You just happen to look at the status bar to see the little red ball is grayed out. The only solution is to reboot. If you look at their forum board (http://forum. bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=16544), this problem has been going on since Nov 2009!! These are the instructions they sent for a previous problem.
"In order to solve this issue we would need more information about it:
1. Please save the tool siw. xyz attached to this email.
2. Change the extension into. zip, extract it and then run it.
3. Go to the File tab and select Create Log File.
4. Run the tools on
5. Send us the 3 reports created by the tools above."
One, why would you have to change an ext and two, windows would NOT let me run the zip file, saying it was a virus.
This is what they sent for the random shut down problem. All that and that's not even to FIX the problem, it's just to "further investigate". Sorry, but after 8 months, they should not only KNOW what the problem is, but have it fixed. Tech support is useless. Unfortunately, I bought a 3 yr license, but will NOT be renewing again.
In order to further investigate the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel and open Folder Options;
2. Go to the View tab and uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types";
3. Acesss the link bellow and download the file "GenerateFullDumps. reg_"
4. Right click on it, choose the Rename option and rename it with
"GenerateFullDumps. reg" (delete the _ sign);
5. Restart the computer in safe mode, locate the file then double click on it and click on Run;
6. A message will pop up from Registry Editor asking you if you are sure you want to continue. Click on Yes;
7. Restart the computer.
8. Go to Start and select Run (for Vista and 7 you have the Search box);
9. Type "cmd" and hit Enter
10. Type cd %programfiles%/bitdefender/bitdefender 2010 and hit Enter
11. Type supporttool. exe /vsservtrace on and hit Enter
12. A pop-up should appear asking you to reboot the PC. Reboot the PC. If you are not asked to restart the PC, please do so on your own.
13. Please wait 2 days (in this way we are making sure that the issue is
reproducint on your computer)and in this time try to note down the date and the approximate time when you are receiving the message "BitDefender Services are not responding"
14. After 2 days please click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.
15. Browse to C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010
- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition
16. Double left click on the supporttool. exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator
17. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and
then click on Finish;
18. Please also go to the desktop and send us the file that was created by the SupportTool (it will be created on your desktop, in an archive file).
19. Also please send the files from :
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\DTrace - if you are using Windows XP
C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\DTrace - if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7